South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Cash on hand: Locked
Tuvalu

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 am

Loose halo wrote:It was convenient for Rabada that the exact number of points were deducted to allow him to play.

Interesting to watch him bowling with a noose around his neck in Capetown.

My money is on a well behaved Capetown Rabada but not so sure about the final test in Jo'burg.

I'm not sure if the demerit points are reset as accumulated yellow cards are when a suspension happens.
I think its more based on a time, so I'm not sure what their next test series is, but he wouldn't want to miss England.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby Loose halo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:02 am

Let's hope for crickets sake he calms down permanently.

I can check but am pretty sure one point will suspend him for a match two points for two matches.

Another loony send off will warrant a point. I doubt he will use his body again or his Father a brain surgeon may have to operate on his frontal lobes.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:42 am

Loose halo wrote:Let's hope for crickets sake he calms down permanently.

I can check but am pretty sure one point will suspend him for a match two points for two matches.

Another loony send off will warrant a point. I doubt he will use his body again or his Father a brain surgeon may have to operate on his frontal lobes.

he will, but against the Aussies all bets are off before they're seen as the villains of world cricket

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 am

Katto wrote:
Loose halo wrote:Let's hope for crickets sake he calms down permanently.

he will, but against the Aussies all bets are off before they're seen as the villains of world cricket

The Umpires will be chatting to the fielding team from now on in this series. Smith must ensure sanity prevails among his close in fielders to zip their lips as the SA hierarchy will be looking closely at any excuse to obtain adverse publicity.

Sean Marsh's threat to sledge Philander's tweet would be water off a duck's back to Philander so it better be an idle one.

Lucky we have Paine as keeper a good guy to help keep them in check.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:35 am

Loose halo wrote:
Katto wrote:

The Umpires will be chatting to the fielding team from now on in this series. Smith must ensure sanity prevails among his close in fielders to zip their lips as the SA hierarchy will be looking closely at any excuse to obtain adverse publicity.

Sean Marsh's threat to sledge Philander's tweet would be water off a duck's back to Philander so it better be an idle one.

I've noticed they've appointed a Zim match ref, so his allegiances will be with South Africa too.
I agree, if the Aussies don't STFU there will be penalties galore as the pendulum is well and truly swinging against them now.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:55 am

unfortunately Steve Smith is too stupid and should've waited until after the series before saying this...

"The ICC have set the standard, haven't they? There was clearly contact," a stunned Smith told reporters.

"He bumped me a little bit harder than it actually looked on the footage.

"They've deemed the contact not to be deliberate and set the line in the sand of what is appropriate and what's not."

Smith found it "pretty interesting" he had zero input at the six-hour hearing into Rabada's send-off, during which team manager Mohammed Moosajee was among a handful of South African witnesses.

"The other person involved (is) not getting asked about it," he said.

Smith also fired back at an inflammatory message posted on Vernon Philander's supposedly hacked Twitter account, in which it was suggested the batsman exaggerated contact and "gave KG the shoulder".

"That was a bit over the top ... that's all a load of garbage," he said.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/a/3 ... -reprieve/

he's thrown the toys of the pram, I don't think he realises the blow back he'll get from South African fans, players and media

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 am

Katto wrote:
Loose halo wrote:

I've noticed they've appointed a Zim match ref, so his allegiances will be with South Africa too.
I agree, if the Aussies don't STFU there will be penalties galore as the pendulum is well and truly swinging against them now.

Two wishes for me.

One that Australia batsmen give a good account against Rabada and Smith wins the toss.

Mr Heron QC said he couldn't be sure Rabada intentionally shouldered Smith.

The fact is Mr Heron there was a bump and Smith didn't cause it. Also Smith does not have a rap sheet like Rabada.

If Rabada skittles them again I will start to doubt their mindset.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 am

:lol: I already doubt their mindset
we've seen plenty of evidence of fragility on tour in the recent past

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:27 am

it seems to be the poorer the nation, the longer the national anthem

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:40 am

Two wishes for me.

One that Australia batsmen give a good account against Rabada and Smith wins the toss.

The fact is Mr Heron there was a bump and Smith didn't cause it. Also Smith does not have a rap sheet like Rabada.

Interesting graphic showed Rabada was slower than Cummins, starc and Hazlewood. So how is he skittling us. They do talk of his fast arm speed.

You lost one wish. Smith did not win toss. But not all gloom as he won toss last game and chose incorrectly.

Starc again ineffective with the new ball. I have seen two balls seam and none swing. These decks are as roadlike as ours back home.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Two wishes for me.

Interesting graphic showed Rabada was slower than Cummins, starc and Hazlewood. So how is he skittling us. They do talk of his fast arm speed.

You lost one wish. Smith did not win toss. But not all gloom as he won toss last game and chose incorrectly.

Starc again ineffective with the new ball. I have seen two balls seam and none swing. These decks are as roadlike as ours back home.

Judge after South Africa bowl. They'll probably make the ball talk.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 am

so much for this huuuuge crowd in Capetown
its barely a quarter full

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am

The SA V/s India test at Capetown was played on a totally different pitch. Ball was doing everything.

SA 12/3, AB counterattacked, rest is history.

India failed to chase 207 in last innings, Philander moved the ball like a black mamba on his home turf.

This SA V/s Aus pitch looks like a road.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:20 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Two wishes for me.

so in other words South Africa were going to bat regardless of who won the toss

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:25 am

Warner looks so happy chasing the ball to the boundary
he reminds me of a bull terrier at the beach

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:45 am

Katto wrote:Warner looks so happy chasing the ball to the boundary
he reminds me of a bull terrier at the beach

:lmao:

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:54 am

bolero wrote:The SA V/s India test at Capetown was played on a totally different pitch. Ball was doing everything.

SA 12/3, AB counterattacked, rest is history.

India failed to chase 207 in last innings, Philander moved the ball like a black mamba on his home turf.

This SA V/s Aus pitch looks like a road.
It is a road like the two before it. Designed to nullify Australia's superior pace. Reckon Hazlewood has almost forgotten the art of seam bowling as he gets so few decks to suit his craft. Aussie quicks will be praying it reverses again as I can not see how they will get 9 more wickets before the SAffers get a substantial total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 am

Markram c.smith- b Haze (zero) (147w in 40 tests) Haze would be thinking I am better than just shy of 4 wkts per test. Having said that, it is not easy for him to dominate as he gets so few decks to suit his craft.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:23 am

Katto wrote:it seems to be the poorer the nation, the longer the national anthem

haha.
Sri Lanka and Bangladesh national anthems are more than three minutes long each. Indian national anthem is one minute long. Interestingly, the same person wrote the national anthems of India and Bangladesh.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:39 am

Great post lunch spell by Haze. Does his bunny Amla with a cross seaming short ball. Clever bowling.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 am

Lyon drops a sitter in the gully
oh dear

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 am

de Villiers is just pulling shots out of his arse lately. That's what confidence does when you're in the zone. It doesn't last forever though.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Katto wrote:Lyon drops a sitter in the gully
oh dear
I missed that.. who was it off?

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:
oh dear
I missed that.. who was it off?

Hazlewood of course
everyone else is bowling pies

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 pm

This series is slipping away. Not looking good for Australia. We need to win this test match as South Africa hold the trophy....whatever its called...actually I think it still doesn't exist or have a name.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:59 pm

oh dear

costly

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Maharaj should play some shots
he knows no other way

typical spin bowler

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Lyon missing that sitter of a chance from Elgar (off Hazlewood) is proving costly.
He was on 53 then and SA was 101/2.
The 3rd wicket fell only at 220.
And Elgar is still around, batting 118.
Thankfully Cummins has reduced SA to 254/7 now.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:45 pm

What a fight back by Aus ! And great spell from Cummins.Test has come alive.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:47 pm

258/8. SA have messed it up.I expect Philander to be a threat bowling last.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:57 pm

bad light rubbish

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:20 am

Katto wrote:This series is slipping away. Not looking good for Australia. We need to win this test match as South Africa hold the trophy....whatever its called...actually I think it still doesn't exist or have a name.
You are forgetting we have held sway over the SAffers on their home turf since their re-entry into Test cricket.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:21 am

bolero wrote:What a fight back by Aus ! And great spell from Cummins.Test has come alive.
Hazlewood was great early and Cummins finished off the day beautifully. That spell tells us why Cummo is a superstar in the making.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:29 am

The South African media are now accusing Pat Cummins of ball tampering after he stepped on the ball

'Ban him from cricket' - Australian paceman Pat Cummins lashed for suspected ball-tampering

Australian paceman Pat Cummins has dismissed claims he purposely trodded on the ball to scuff one side after the home side expressed concerns of his alarming behaviour.

Former South African captain Graeme Smith questioned the Australian's conduct during commentary on SuperSport, arguing Cummins intentionally made an effort to step on the ball.

“Accidentally on purpose,” Smith quipped.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/cricket/ ... nogp724kke

here is a sample of the reaction
Last edited by Katto on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:30 am

I predicts Philly will ruins Australian party. I do not. Philly needs a grassy seaming deck at his moderate pace to be dangerous. There was no seam yesterday. I also saw very little reverse swing.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:31 am

Katto wrote:The South African media are now accusing Pat Cummins of ball tampering after he stepped on the ball
Really. Anything to put us off our game.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 am

Katto wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote: I missed that.. who was it off?

Hazlewood of course
everyone else is bowling pies
Costly indeed as Elgar is once again the Proteas rock at top of the order.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 am

more reaction here in the comments
South AFrican fans are in no doubt
https://twitter.com/Golfhackno1/status/ ... 8840839168

expect ESPNCricinfo to jump onto this bandwagon too

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:05 am

Former South African captain Graeme Smith questioned the Australian's conduct during commentary on SuperSport, arguing Cummins intentionally made an effort to step on the ball.

I expect nothing less from Smith. He has never shied away from his dislike of Australian cricketers. I recall he was the SAffer we all loved to hate during his playing days.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:12 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Former South African captain Graeme Smith questioned the Australian's conduct during commentary on SuperSport, arguing Cummins intentionally made an effort to step on the ball.

I expect nothing less from Smith. He has never shied away from his dislike of Australian cricketers. I recall he was the SAffer we all loved to hate during his playing days.

yep, old pizza face. He's the worst commentator too.

The behind the scenes guys at SuperSport have an agenda too. They always cut to the face of the Australian bowler, Warner or Smith for a reaction shot to try to catch them sledging. They don't do the same with the South African players.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:44 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Katto wrote:The South African media are now accusing Pat Cummins of ball tampering after he stepped on the ball
Really. Anything to put us off our game.

South Africa, sour grapes.Accept that he had a great spell.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:24 am

Looked pretty harmless to me just trying to stop it rolling after kicking it accidentally.
Silly thing to do all the same with cameras rolling.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:30 am

Loose halo wrote:Looked pretty harmless to me just trying to stop it rolling after kicking it accidentally.
Silly thing to do all the same with cameras rolling.
Agree.. word for word.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 am

Looks like this tour might go the way of England's ill-tempered tour of the West Indies in 1953-54.
That series is best remembered for all the ill-will it awakened.
England's tour of West Indies in 1967-68 (the series where Fred Titmus lost his toes) also had its uneasy moments, though probably not as bad as 1953-54.

Then there was that Greig-Kallicharan issue on England's Windies tour of 1973-74.

And the John Lever vaseline issue on England's tour of 1976-77.

This topic deserves a separate thread. :-)

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:11 am

raja wrote:Looks like this tour might go the way of England's ill-tempered tour of the West Indies in 1953-54.
That series is best remembered for all the ill-will it awakened.
England's tour of West Indies in 1967-68 (the series where Fred Titmus lost his toes) also had its uneasy moments, though probably not as bad as 1953-54.

Then there was that Greig-Kallicharan issue on England's Windies tour of 1973-74.

And the John Lever vaseline issue on England's tour of 1976-77.

This topic deserves a separate thread. :-)

these days every little thing gets blown out of proportion

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 am

I think Rabada should bat above Maharaj

very talented and intelligent cricketer

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 am

New ball having no effect on removing last two batsmen. Ball moved more in the 70th over than now.

So Lyon should have finished things as it was he who gave Elgar and the SAffers 90 extra runs.

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Bank: Locked
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:38 am

Well no one notices but my Dear Smith took 5 catches in single test innings.India's Yajuvendra Singh took record catches in single innings as Substitute But I think list is big with 5 catches in single innings by other than Sub.(rahane took 8 in Lanka-)
Axar & Chahal failed to take wicket at Banglore vs Proteas A

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 am

Tinsel wrote:Well no one notices but my Dear Smith took 5 catches in single test innings.India's Yajuvendra Singh took record catches in single innings as Substitute But I think list is big with 5 catches in single innings by other than Sub.(rahane took 8 in Lanka-)
We seem to forget how vital catches are. Smithy took some beauties. When the skipper is on song with his catching he is usually on song with the willow.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:02 am

Have a look where Warner is when ball cannons into his stumps. Two stumps are visable. Never behind the ball.