South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby Boycs » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:40 pm

I don’t mind sledging if it’s funny and I don’t mind send offs either but their is a line.

I do think they’re becoming more common though. Watched some ashes 2005 highlights recently. When a wicket fell the bowler jumps up and runs into a huddle of his teammates I don’t think I saw one “send off”

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 am

Zaheer Khan liked to give a good send off

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 am

did Katto not predict this?

Smith as much to blame for Rabada incident: Philander
By Andrew Wu15 March 2018 — 10:14am

South Africa seamer Vernon Philander has accused Steve Smith of staging the incident which led to pace sensation Kagiso Rabada being rubbed out for the rest of the series.

The Proteas are appealing the verdict of ICC match referee Jeff Crowe in a bid to have Rabada available for the final two Tests.

Vernon Philander

@VDP_24
Havent really seen the fotage of this incident but by the looks of this...Steve Smith gave KG the shoulder. He could have avoided any contact but to me he is just as guilty. Trying some football skills to get a penalty??? Pity he didnt dive to top it off.

A day after the Australia's assistant coach Brad Haddin called for calm, Philander took to social media with a tweet that is certain to inflame tensions between the two camps.
In a post accompanied by footage of the incident, the veteran paceman alleged Smith was equally responsible for the contact which occurred after the Australian captain was dismissed in the first innings.
Philander's bizarre outburst appears to be prompted by Smith's reaction to the contact.
Smith turns around after the bump from Rabada then makes a gesture to partner Shaun Marsh suggesting the South African had dropped his shoulder on the way through.

"Havent [sic]really seen the fotage [sic] of this incident but by the looks of this...Steve Smith gave KG the shoulder. He could have avoided any contact but to me he is just as guilty. Trying some football skills to get a penalty??? Pity he didnt dive to top it off," Philander tweeted to his 185,000 followers late on Wednesday night South African time.
It's unclear if Philander's line of argument will be included in South Africa's defence of Rabada at the appeal.
The ICC has 48 hours to appoint a judicial commissioner with a hearing to be held within seven days.
Rabada's suspension will stand unless the commissioner believes there is just cause for him to play in the third Test startin next Thursday in Cape Town.
The firebrand quick has been the dominant bowler this series with 15 wickets at 16.8. He has been dangerous with the new ball and with his reverse swing.
His match-winning performance in Port Elizabeth took him back to the top of the ICC's bowling rankings.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/sm ... 4z4fx.html

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:14 am

Loose halo wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/clip?id=22746429

I am glad you isolated that clip.

Spoof or not mud still sticks. Warner retaliates to an ad hominem on his wife and these clowns think it's hilarious.

Have just seen the clip.

The way ESPN has treated this is disgusting.

Clearly only playing for clicks - especially from Indians, who make up the majority of cricket fans around the world anyway.

So just play to that constituency.

What does that constituency like?

Aussie-bashing. For some reason, Indians just don't seem to support Australia in sport. You'll find many Indians supporting England in an Ashes series - I'm in a minority. The fact that Aussies had that fantastic run under Taylor/Waugh only made Indians hate them more. Anything negative that the Aussies did was blown out of proportion. Indians love to bash Aussies. You know what? It's just SO predictable - and SO boring!

It's shocking that in an incident involving personal comments on Warner's family, that is the one aspect that gets LEAST attention. In fact, the moment it is brought up, it is immediately brushed aside. Instead, these guys talk about Warner's past incidents, clearly suggesting he's a "problem guy" (indirectly suggesting, he creates and invites problems, thereby suggesting Qdk was the "victim" this time.)

Just disgusting.

BCCI players are no less obnoxious on the field - Dhoni himself was no saint, nor is Kohli now. Just that they sledge in Hindi (so unless the opposition is Pakistan, they won't understand). And this would be just fine with the hypocritical BCCI fans.

I might be ok with sledging - I might not be ok with it.
I might be ok with it, without bringing family into it - I might not be ok with it.

The point is, you CANNOT have different standards for Aussies and for others. And no, I don't mean more lenient standards for Aussies. If anything, BCCI players have got away lightly. Harbhajan, Gambhir, Ishant, Zaheer, Dhawan, Kohli - BCCI fans (and these commentators) need to first look at their own house before complaining about Aussie behaviour.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:38 am

only solution is to ban chatter on the field and have at least one of the three umpires who can understand the native language of either team

not because I'm against chatter/sledging, but I'm sick of hearing about it and most cricket fans would probably agree with that

@raja, yep everybody hates us :) hence the Millwall FC analogy

even our neighbours NZ hate us because politically they're more closely aligned with Britain while we're more closely aligned politically and culturally with the USA these days

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:56 am

this just in :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

can you believe this guy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://twitter.com/VDP_24

philander
fɪˈlandə/Submit
verb
verb: philander; 3rd person present: philanders; past tense: philandered; past participle: philandered; gerund or present participle: philandering
(of a man) readily or frequently enter into casual sexual relationships with women. :think:
"they accepted that their husbands would philander with other women"
synonyms: womanize, have affairs/an affair, flirt, trifle/toy/dally with someone's affections; More
Origin

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Phil ... e&ie=UTF-8

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Re:

Postby Loose halo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:25 am

raja wrote:
Loose halo wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/clip?id=22746429

I am glad you isolated that clip.

Spoof or not mud still sticks. Warner retaliates to an ad hominem on his wife and these clowns think it's hilarious.

Have just seen the clip.

The way ESPN has treated this is disgusting.

Clearly only playing for clicks - especially from Indians, who make up the majority of cricket fans around the world anyway.

So just play to that constituency.

What does that constituency like?

Aussie-bashing. For some reason, Indians just don't seem to support Australia in sport. You'll find many Indians supporting England in an Ashes series - I'm in a minority. The fact that Aussies had that fantastic run under Taylor/Waugh only made Indians hate them more. Anything negative that the Aussies did was blown out of proportion. Indians love to bash Aussies. You know what? It's just SO predictable - and SO boring!

It's shocking that in an incident involving personal comments on Warner's family, that is the one aspect that gets LEAST attention. In fact, the moment it is brought up, it is immediately brushed aside. Instead, these guys talk about Warner's past incidents, clearly suggesting he's a "problem guy" (indirectly suggesting, he creates and invites problems, thereby suggesting Qdk was the "victim" this time.)

Just disgusting.

BCCI players are no less obnoxious on the field - Dhoni himself was no saint, nor is Kohli now. Just that they sledge in Hindi (so unless the opposition is Pakistan, they won't understand). And this would be just fine with the hypocritical BCCI fans.

I might be ok with sledging - I might not be ok with it.
I might be ok with it, without bringing family into it - I might not be ok with it.

The point is, you CANNOT have different standards for Aussies and for others. And no, I don't mean more lenient standards for Aussies. If anything, BCCI players have got away lightly. Harbhajan, Gambhir, Ishant, Zaheer, Dhawan, Kohli - BCCI fans (and these commentators) need to first look at their own house before complaining about Aussie behaviour.

I understand these guys are playing to a home crowd and there was an odd mix of humour and rancor that denigrated from the theme.

I was left with the feeling that the host and a couple of others including Agakar were genuinely trying to be fair with their lines but one or two showed a sense of triumph.

India are my second team and IMO the world's best now their bowlers have improved. Nicely posted raja.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:32 am

Don't ever get on a witness stand Vernon old chap

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:06 am

cricket follow American sports like NFL on rules. why not this too? players on field talk trash and it’s ok. but no player should walk up to another player and talk trash after a game score mini break. that’s called taunting and penalty is given immediately that effect next game play. they should have rules to cut runs.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:21 am

I am not an Aussie basher and several Aussie cricketers are among my favourites like Mitchell Johnson and Pat Cummins. So Raja, dont count me in the bashers. Its basically a media line which makes the Aussie appear as the ' Ugly Aussie '. Not necessarily the Indian fans which have split loyalties.

I dont believe Vernon Philander when he says his account was hacked. The post was deliberate.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 am

Philander is the foster son of Mats Wilander.

I watched a lot of tennis in that era Becker / Edberg / Wilander / Steffi Graf / Arantxa / Navratilova.

Connors and Mcenroe played before I started watching active tennis.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:26 am

Going South wrote:cricket follow American sports like NFL on rules. why not this too? players on field talk trash and it’s ok. but no player should walk up to another player and talk trash after a game score mini break. that’s called taunting and penalty is given immediately that effect next game play. they should have rules to cut runs.

The word taunting is an apt term and has legal connotations. By this I mean taunting in many areas demands punishment by regulation.

I agree with GS it could and should be introduced.

Warner for example is often guilty of it.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 am

Warner gets provoked easily just like Kohli. But Warner cannot control himself, Kohli has learnt belatedly to take a backseat sometimes.

There is a term " Hot headed Delhi guy ". Kohli , Manoj Prabhakar etc all hail from Delhi. They have that characteristic, sorry any Delhi folks around.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:34 am

Gambhir also is from Delhi, another potential short fuse.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 am

bolero wrote:Philander is the foster son of Mats Wilander.

I watched a lot of tennis in that era Becker / Edberg / Wilander / Steffi Graf / Arantxa / Navratilova.

is that true? :shock:

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:59 am

Loose halo wrote:
Going South wrote:cricket follow American sports like NFL on rules. why not this too? players on field talk trash and it’s ok. but no player should walk up to another player and talk trash after a game score mini break. that’s called taunting and penalty is given immediately that effect next game play. they should have rules to cut runs.

The word taunting is an apt term and has legal connotations. By this I mean taunting in many areas demands punishment by regulation.

I agree with GS it could and should be introduced.

Warner for example is often guilty of it.

We don't have the full story with Warner to be fair. The media have only shown one side and the counter is quotes from Paine and Smith which the media have decided to discredit. I don't know what Warner says during play. Michael Holding doesn't know either because he turns the stump mic down.
Mike Haysman said early in the 1st test the chatter was all between the Australian players and it was all about cricket. It may have been mind games but it was cricket related. There is an assumption in the twitterverse that Warner & co. are simply abusing the batsmen all day in the field and this is promoted by ESPN etc. I'm pretty sure the umpires would not allow that.
Last edited by Katto on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:01 am

Katto wrote:
bolero wrote:Philander is the foster son of Mats Wilander.

is that true? :shock:

The Philander / Wilander part was just joking as it rhymed perfectly.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:57 am

new ESPN Aussie bashing video just out...
http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/clip?id=22774969

meanwhile Rabada's defense advocate has been appointed and he's a heavy hitting social justice political figure. One can guess which line they'll take in the defense case.

you couldn't make this shit up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Freedom_Fighters

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 am

So Qdk is allowed to talk about Warner's wife, as long as he does it on the field?

Trash talk is trash talk - why should it be legit on a field, and not legit outside it?

Just trying to understand.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:33 am

Why can Chappel say “how’s your wife and my kids” and get “wife’s fine, kids are retarded” and that’s witty banter, but Warner’s situation drums up controversy?

Is it because warner was offended more?

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:34 am

Might have been border not Chappel, can’t feme

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 am

Boycs wrote:Might have been border not Chappel, can’t feme

neither

Warner's wife was involved in a publicised incident with a rugby player before she married Warner
that's what team South Africa, the CSA management and the South African fans have been sledging him about

meanwhile they're hiding behind the racism card

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:46 am

Ah just looked it up: rod marsh.

So another keeper sledging a firey member of the opposing team. But botham got a good return shot in so it’s okay :D

And what racism card? QDK and Warner are both white? Or is this about Rabada celebrating his wicket but allegedly opening his mouth too much.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:51 am

Boycs wrote:Ah just looked it up: rod marsh.

So another keeper sledging a firey member of the opposing team. But botham got a good return shot in so it’s okay :D

And what racism card? QDK and Warner are both white? Or is this about Rabada celebrating his wicket but allegedly opening his mouth too much.

Jeff Crowe has been accused of racism favouring the white Aussie players

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 am

CRICKET South Africa has enlisted prominent barrister and politician Dali Mpofu to fight Kagiso Rabada’s two-Test ban.
CSA released a statement early on Friday morning (AEDT) confirming Mpofu’s appointment.

Rabada’s hearing over a charge of making “inappropriate and deliberate physical contact” with Steve Smith is expected to take place on Monday, although the International Cricket Council is yet to reveal who will serve as judicial commissioner.

“I do believe this is an important case for all South Africans and has implications for our shared project of nation-building. We should all wish Kagiso luck for Monday,” Mpofu told newspaper The Times.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... 1521181041

:popcorn:

this is no longer about cricket

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 am

Boycs wrote:Why can Chappel say “how’s your wife and my kids” and get “wife’s fine, kids are retarded” and that’s witty banter, but Warner’s situation drums up controversy?

Is it because warner was offended more?

Wasn't Chappell.
I don't approve of this either, even if some consider it witty.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 am

I would strongly advise Jeff Crowe to get the hell out of dodge

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby Going South » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:26 pm

if both players are of same “type” it’s ok to be “witty”.
2 white dudes during ashes can talk shit.
2 asian subcontinent dudes can talk hindi/urdu shit.
2 colored dudes can talk about respective mothers and be cool.
it’s ok. it would be on same page banter.
It would be a problem if any other different “type” dudes try to be witty. it would be seen as racial & offensive.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 pm

If that’s the world we live in then that’s shit. I want to make jokes with my friends no matter what they look like. And if I had to be afraid of anyone different to me because of what they may think then that’s utter bollocks.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 pm

the problem is when someone take offense and when they don’t. all of a sudden all hell would break loose. if you are among “friends” its ok here you are among rivals in a competitive sport, not a friend.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 am

Yeah I guess. I think it’s just a sad fact that people are often on their toes around different groups because of this stomach-churning litigation and namby-pamby overly sensitive PC world that the West seems to be stuck in at the moment.

Trump is right on that account.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:38 am

The ICC should've appointed a black judge unless they plan to roll over to the appeal, because this kiwi is just going to get hammered for all the wrong reasons if he upholds the original match referee decision.

CSA have brought the EFF into this, its an entirely different ball game now. Its not even a ball game.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 am

How could anyone possibly prove Jeff Crowe made his decision based on racism after a perusal of Rabada's history?

Surely they will stick with their original plea based on labour laws involving restriction of trade.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Didn't Harbhajan Singh successfully challenge an ICC ruling back in 2008 Monkeygate saga?
I think Rabada's chances are good mainly due to the opponents.
I hope he wins only because I want him to play, not because I necessarily think the ref made the wrong decision.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Katto wrote:Didn't Harbhajan Singh successfully challenge an ICC ruling back in 2008 Monkeygate saga?
I think Rabada's chances are good mainly due to the opponents.
I hope he wins only because I want him to play, not because I necessarily think the ref made the wrong decision.

Yes Singh called Symonds a big monkey after provocation by Symonds using the F word.

The match referee Procter ruled against Singh who appealed and Procter's decision was overturned.

Rabada and his counsel could insist the collision with Smith was unavoidable or accidental and have the accumulated points reduced.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:48 am

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:24 am

bolero wrote:http://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/article/nidahas-trophy-sanath-jayasuriya-calls-bangladesh-3rd-class-then-deletes-tweet-glass-shattering/208783

He should've said his twitter account was hacked.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:42 am

there is nothing wrong in calling a spade a spade.
WTH was that nagin dance for? entire team out doing snake dance ? that too not for win in finals but league match? really?
they say cricket is gentleman game !! bwahahahahahaha
arrogant morons !
That disgusting act of captain calling off his players from play and later on attempting to cover it up? so lame. pathetic indeed.
move over pakistan. this bangladesh team took your spot.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:47 am

Going South wrote:there is nothing wrong in calling a spade a spade.
WTH was that nagin dance for? entire team out doing snake dance ? that too not for win in finals but league match? really?
they say cricket is gentleman game !! bwahahahahahaha
arrogant morons !
That disgusting act of captain calling off his players from play and later on attempting to cover it up? so lame. pathetic indeed.
move over pakistan. this bangladesh team took your spot.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:04 am

Rabada appeal upheld.

The Kiwi judge caved in to legal pressure says journo Crash Craddock after talking to his SA buddies on the phone.

Rabada will play in Capetown. :popcorn:

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 am

It seemed pretty obvious which way it was heading. I would say political rather than just legal though.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 am

Katto wrote:It seemed pretty obvious which way it was heading. I would say political rather than just legal though.

According to Craddock his SA journo mates listening at the appeal hearing on Monday the speech given by the defence was "Churchillian".
Last edited by Loose halo on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 am

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 1521541111

backpage video covers it pretty much as it is

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 am

A King Soloman like decision just cut the baby in half.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:01 am

that reference is lost on me :lol:

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 am

I expect both teams to be fired up for the clash.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:18 am

This will be made into a movie. Matt Damon will play Faf du Plessis. Will Smith will play KG.
Gary Busey will play Steve Smith.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Katto wrote:that reference is lost on me :lol:

In legal circles a Soloman verdict is often used to describe a five dollars each way decision.

Based on the Bible story of the two mothers fighting over one baby.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Loose halo wrote:
Katto wrote:that reference is lost on me :lol:

In legal circles a Soloman verdict is often used to describe a five dollars each way decision.

Based on the Bible story of the two mothers fighting over one baby.

ah, but doesn't that imply a decision where there are no winners?

I think here there was clearly one winner and one loser.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 pm

It was convenient for Rabada that the exact number of points were deducted to allow him to play.

Interesting to watch him bowling with a noose around his neck in Capetown.

My money is on a well behaved Capetown Rabada but not so sure about the final test in Jo'burg.