South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Australia

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby Tinsel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 am

Katto wrote:Marsh played pretty well in that session, good application
didn't need as much luck as Khawaja

He is too good suddenly @very good all rounder, you can trust and Depends him, I can see him as Australian vice captain under Davey or someone.
Axar & Chahal failed to take wicket at Banglore vs Proteas A

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby Boycs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:59 am

Going South wrote:
raja wrote:These sort of Khawaja innings are very annoying.
If he turns this into a match-winning innings, I'd salute him - but I'm pretty sure he won't.
He's done enough to save his spot - that's what this innings is all about.

come on. it won’t hurt to praise a performer. man up and say he did good inspite of hardships on this match conditions. Khawaja delivered beyond his capabilities and must be appreciated. It’s not his fault that all other Aussie batsmen suck!! Give credit where it’s due. Furthermore It’s hitting below belt if you say he played to save his spot etc bullshit. it’s not him but YOUR POST that’s ANNOYING.

:shock:

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 am

Tinsel wrote:
Katto wrote:Marsh played pretty well in that session, good application
didn't need as much luck as Khawaja

He is too good suddenly @very good all rounder, you can trust and Depends him, I can see him as Australian vice captain under Davey or someone.

I see Mitch as future captain after Smithy gives it away. Warner will never captain Australia for two reasons IMO.. his conduct and his age.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:15 am

Tinsel wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote: Uzz with valuable runs but sadly not the big 100 that was needed.

We are seeing a growing maturity in Mitch Marsh this year. He looks more confortable at the crease..
He is more patient and building an innings rather that perishing early with a rash stroke.

His defensive play has specially improved. Is playing with softer hands and note the way he is playing the defensive ball under his eyes now. When he made that 90odd several years ago in the UAE I said then he would be our best genuine all rounder since Miller. I have not changed my mind about that. He may even turn out to be better than Nugget. Now that would be something.

Now it is up to Mitch,Timmy, Pat and Starc to get us a competitive total. We have one of the worlds most potent attacks and bowled without a lot of luck in the first innings.. so am not writing off our boys just yet.

I think its all over, in the first hour after lunch as new ball with Rabada will be key who already took 8 wickets

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:54 am

Poor crowds in South Africa may be a result of the locals disdain for the Australian team.
If you read twitter there's a lot of hatred there.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:30 am

If Aus set anything above 110 to SA, chase will be interesting.It is still anybody's game.

Remember the same SA collapsed to 130 all out to India recently.Australia has a better attack than India on SA pitches.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:40 am

Going South wrote:
raja wrote:These sort of Khawaja innings are very annoying.
If he turns this into a match-winning innings, I'd salute him - but I'm pretty sure he won't.
He's done enough to save his spot - that's what this innings is all about.

come on. it won’t hurt to praise a performer. man up and say he did good inspite of hardships on this match conditions. Khawaja delivered beyond his capabilities and must be appreciated. It’s not his fault that all other Aussie batsmen suck!! Give credit where it’s due. Furthermore It’s hitting below belt if you say he played to save his spot etc bullshit. it’s not him but YOUR POST that’s ANNOYING.

"Khawaja delivered beyond his capabilities" :lmao:
So now a No.3 batsman (picked solely for his batting) and failing consistently, over-delivers if he scores 75!!!
Are our standards that low?

For you BCCI guys, used to low standards in nappy formats like T20, 75 might be a score worth worshipping.
We Aussies have slightly higher standards. :)

I'll give credit where it's due. I'll give credit to Mitch Marsh for at least hanging in there till the end of day's play and hoping to have a better day today. Might not happen, but at least he isn't a No.3 batsman, picked purely for his batting.

Players play to save their spot. It's normal in a competitive world to raise your game if your career/money depended on it. No hitting below the belt here. In a different era, Khawaja wouldn't have been given such a long rope.

Once the likes of Ian Chappell batted at No.3 for us. Now we have guys like Khawaja, who have apparently over-achieved by scoring a patchy 75 in what is definitely going to now mean a defeat.

How our standards have fallen!

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 am

Khawaja was the fifth Australian to go just before a break and all important wickets.

Tubby Taylor would be shedding tears of frustration watching at home as he would put his cue in the rack 15 minutes before a break because he darn well knew the opposing bowlers and fielders would be fired up with a rest approaching.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:39 am

Loose halo wrote:Khawaja was the fifth Australian to go just before a break and all important wickets.

Tubby Taylor would be shedding tears of frustration watching at home as he would put his cue in the rack 15 minutes before a break because he darn well knew the opposing bowlers and fielders would be fired up with a rest approaching.
This is a very worrying aspect starting to creep into our game. Concentration should at your fullest going into a break.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:46 am

Can we not give any credit to the bowler or did Khawaja just miss a straight one?

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:48 am

David Warner must feel like the Donald Trump of cricket. No matter what happens its his fault and he triggers lefties just by existing.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 am

Rabada is well named the close ups of his send of off Smith were as "rabid" as an infected Rottweiller.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 am

Loose halo wrote:Rabada is well named the close ups of his send of off Smith were as "rabid" as an infected Rottweiller.

I think he's just emulating Steyn who does much the same thing, with the subtle difference he doesn't do it in the batsmen's face.

I believe the South African media are partly responsible for this behavior by their constant demonizing of the Australian team and Rabada probably feels justified in his mind. His suspension will now play into a victimisation mentality.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:00 am

Katto wrote:
Loose halo wrote:Rabada is well named the close ups of his send of off Smith were as "rabid" as an infected Rottweiller.

I think he's just emulating Steyn who does much the same thing, with the subtle difference he doesn't do it in the batsmen's face.

I believe the South African media are partly responsible for this behavior by their constant demonizing of the Australian team and Rabada probably feels justified in his mind. His suspension will now play into a victimisation mentality.

He is a serial offender with a long history going back to Stokes being his first offence.

Can't blame the press for his current continuance. He knew he was on limit and still couldn't help himself. :confused:

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:25 am

Rabada was engaged in constant verbals with Virat Kohli in the India series. He gave a send off to Dhawan too, if I recollect.

Rabada is no saint.

But if Rabada is banned, it weakens SA considerably and robs the teams of the balance.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 am

Steyn was rumoured to be back for game three. If so he will add to SA's attack.

The toss win didn't help Australia this time as Smith foolishly didn't elect to bowl IMO.

Capetown is next and the toss could decide the winner as it is bound to take spin.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:12 am

The worst possible start with Marsh missing the in swinging yorker. They seem to get the swing spot on more often than not.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 am

Is that game, set and match? It is now as Cummins throws it away. This will be all over by tea if not sooner.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 am

Is good this kid. Our tail is not wagging and Paine will be left stranded.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:49 am

baggygreenmania wrote:The curators will be told to prepare a similar deck to this for Cape Town. One that allows reverse swing to play a major part as SA appear to be more effective with the swinging ball..Our bowlers simply do not know how to control the swinging ball. Has always been the case as we cut our teeth on fast bouncy decks with little swing. To be perfectly correct the drop ins we now have back home are more conjusive to swing. Trouble is it is not in our makeup to play the moving ball. When will our administrators take a smart pill and start using the swinging Dukes for home Test matches. All very well playing it in domestic cricket but how often do out Test batsmen play domestic red ball cricket.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:57 am

Our bowlers do not have sufficient runs to play with to have any chance now. Even another 50 and it may have got interesting.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:08 am

My side for Second Test:
Edgar
Warner
Khawaja
Amla
ABDV
M Marsh
De Kock
Philander
Cummins
Kagiso
Ngidi.

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 am

Do you think Paine stays for next 8 years in test or so?
I liked him more than The keeper Australia had when Tony Mann (début century by Night watch man ) and Craig Sargent playing for your national test team,our captain was B.Bedi.

Rick McCoskar and Ross Edward were superb player,i listen so many of their innings in England over cricket commentary (radio) on those days.

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 am

baggygreenmania wrote:My side for Second Test:
Edgar
Warner
Khawaja
Amla
ABDV
M Marsh
De Kock
Philander
Cummins
Kagiso
Ngidi.

So you left number one but why Ngidi?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 am

Tinsel wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:My side for Second Test:
Edgar
Warner
Khawaja
Amla
ABDV
M Marsh
De Kock
Philander
Cummins
Kagiso
Ngidi.

So you left number one but why Ngidi?
Please explain?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:30 am

Tinsel wrote:Do you think Paine stays for next 8 years in test or so?
I liked him more than The keeper Australia had when Tony Mann (début century by Night watch man ) and Craig Sargent playing for your national test team,our captain was B.Bedi.

Rick McCoskar and Ross Edward were superb player,i listen so many of their innings in England over cricket commentary (radio) on those days.
Not 8 years.Tim is 32 now. Possibly 4/5 more years. Doubt he will retire before then as has already missed two years with a shocking finger injury. A matter of maintaining form.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 am

Some big hits by Hazlewood takes us over the 100. Wow. Reckon all this stems back to Smith batting first and not bowling on a deck that offered our quicks plenty. Seems endemic in Australian cricket win toss and bat.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 am

Next test - Capetown.

Vern Philander is unplayable on that surface. Steyn might make a come back after getting injured against India or it could be Morkel.

I expect Lungi Ngidi to play.

Cape Town is having a severe water crisis, Indian players were told not to shower too much because of water scarcity. Limited amount of water usage permitted.

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:36 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Tinsel wrote:Do you think Paine stays for next 8 years in test or so?

Not 8 years.Tim is 32 now. Possibly 4/5 more years. He may retire before then. Doubt he will retire before then as has already missed two years with a shocking finger injury.

Why he was not consider when other guy whom Clarke support most was around, I forget his name.he opened on début and won mo..match award but not good in asia tour.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 am

bolero wrote:Next test - Capetown.

Vern Philander is unplayable on that surface. Steyn might make a come back after getting injured against India or it could be Morkel.

I expect Lungi Ngidi to play.

Cape Town is having a severe water crisis, Indian players were told not to shower too much because of water scarcity. Limited amount of water usage permitted.
There was something on Australian news about the CT water storage. No showers.. boys may pong. Philander unplayable. He was in the first 2 hours of this match. More pain coming up for the Aussie top order.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:39 am

Tinsel wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote: Not 8 years.Tim is 32 now. Possibly 4/5 more years. He may retire before then. Doubt he will retire before then as has already missed two years with a shocking finger injury.

Why he was not consider when other guy whom Clarke support most was around, I forget his name.he opened on début and won mo..match award but not good in asia tour.
Haddin? He took Tims Test spot when he incurred that ititial finger injury.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 am

Someone please teach the Marsh boys how to catch. That wicket to Haz would have sent a little touch of panic in the SA camp.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:56 am

For God's sake these stupid discipline points. Rabada shouting went Warner got out. I saw it. No issues at all. ICC needs to grow up.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 am

We should have them two down for 22 if MM learnt to catch with soft hands.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:09 am

Catches win matches. Khawaja dropped Maharaj in the first innings. Cost Aussies.

Shikhar Dhawan dropped a sitter of Maharaj at slip in the first test. South Africa went on to add 80 runs and India lost the first test by 72 runs.

India dropped close to half a dozen catches in the second test.

At international level, I am surprised that top teams are taking fielding lightly. The elementary basics are disregarded.

Mark Waugh, Dravid etc were excellent slip catchers, they never used to grab at the ball.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:36 am

This has been an entirely forgettable Test for us.
Nothing, just nothing, has worked.
Won the toss - elected to bat instead of bowl on a wicket that would've helped our bowlers.
Terrible batting - somehow got to 243.
Then we allowed SA to get valuable runs, thanks to ABDV.
Our catching has been poor - with costly mistakes.

What's also worrying is that Smith is seeming to get into a bad patch now.
Without him getting big scores, our batting looks very shaky.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 am

bolero wrote:Catches win matches. Khawaja dropped Maharaj in the first innings. Cost Aussies.

Shikhar Dhawan dropped a sitter of Maharaj at slip in the first test. South Africa went on to add 80 runs and India lost the first test by 72 runs.

India dropped close to half a dozen catches in the second test.

At international level, I am surprised that top teams are taking fielding lightly. The elementary basics are disregarded.

Mark Waugh, Dravid etc were excellent slip catchers, they never used to grab at the ball.
To be fair to Uz he did not drop the catch. He snared it but neglected to toss it infield before his foot touched the ground.. That was a crucial time of the match.. probably the turning point.

That is the second time today Hazlewood has removed Markram. This time Smith makes no mistake with the catch. Notice a Marsh is still in the slips cordon.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:59 am

Australia fighting back. Match on !

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:22 am

deleted post
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:40 am

We needed Lyon to do that in the first innings. All too late now. ABDV has already won it.. Too good this time SAffers..but we will be up for Cape Town. Dont worry about that.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
raja wrote:This has been an entirely forgettable Test for us.
Nothing, just nothing, has worked.
Won the toss - elected to bat instead of bowl on a wicket that would've helped our bowlers.
Terrible batting - somehow got to 243.
Then we allowed SA to get valuable runs, thanks to ABDV.
Our catching has been poor - with costly mistakes.

What's also worrying is that Smith is seeming to get into a bad patch now.
Without him getting big scores, our batting looks very shaky.
Ditto raja. I am seeing a change in Smith's trigger movement.He now looks to be more open or front on when he engages the ball.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Smith's timing has lagged back to the white ball games in Australia. It could be the accuracy of the SA attack that's bothering him plus the shocking tracks in the first two tests.

SA cunningly refuse to go to dropins they like to stack their decks and play poker with their pitches.

Let's hope the Aussie quick bowlers forget how they blasted out England in Australia and adapt to these new conditions.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Boycs wrote:For God's sake these stupid discipline points. Rabada shouting went Warner got out. I saw it. No issues at all. ICC needs to grow up.

Two-test suspension. Bah.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:37 pm

excellent win. congrats to saffer fans.
this would make next match more interesting.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 pm

remember when Paddles tried to argue the Kookaburra ball doesn't swing

(It didn't stop swinging this whole match)

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Loose halo wrote:Smith's timing has lagged back to the white ball games in Australia. It could be the accuracy of the SA attack that's bothering him plus the shocking tracks in the first two tests.

SA cunningly refuse to go to dropins they like to stack their decks and play poker with their pitches.

Let's hope the Aussie quick bowlers forget how they blasted out England in Australia and adapt to these new conditions.

Why would they go to drop ins when they play their matches on cricket grounds rather than cookie cutter multipurpose stadiums used in Australia

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Katto wrote:remember when Paddles tried to argue the Kookaburra ball doesn't swing

(It didn't stop swinging this whole match)

that’s my pinch of salt for paddles arguments

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Haven’t seen him post for a while anyway?

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Katto wrote:
Loose halo wrote:Smith's timing has lagged back to the white ball games in Australia. It could be the accuracy of the SA attack that's bothering him plus the shocking tracks in the first two tests.

Why would they go to drop ins when they play their matches on cricket grounds rather than cookie cutter multipurpose stadiums used in Australia

Because the original soil ages beyond redemption. Durban and Port Elizabeth prove that.

People these days want faster scoring. SA have recognised this and will replace their ancient pitches eventually. Look how much more Adelaide and Optus have attracted interest from the public.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:51 pm

Just watching the fourth innings highlights South Africa really made a hash of chasing 101 didn’t they. Australia bowled well