India V/s Sri Lanka Once Again Nov 16- Dec 24, 2017 ! (3 Tests, 3 ODI's and T20's)

Discuss all live or current cricket matches here. Participate in on-going live cricket matches and discuss match situations live as the game evolves. We want to hear from you.
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
India

India V/s Sri Lanka Once Again Nov 16- Dec 24, 2017 ! (3 Tests, 3 ODI's and T20's)

Postby bolero » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am

Please post in this thread as the live thread for the upcoming India - Sri lanka series.

Tired of watching, hope Indian players are not tired of playing.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Re: India V/s Sri Lanka Once Again Nov 16- Dec 24, 2017 ! (3 Tests, 3 ODI's and T20's)

Postby bolero » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 am

Squads:

India squad (for first two Tests) Virat Kohli (Captain), KL Rahul, Murali Vijay, Shikhar Dhawan, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Rohit Sharma, Wriddhiman Saha (wicketkeeper), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammad Shami, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ishant Sharma.

Sri Lanka Test squad: Dinesh Chandimal (Captain), Dimuth Karunaratne, Dhananjaya de Silva, Sadeera Samarawickrama, Angelo Mathews, Lahiru Thirimanne, Rangana Herath, Suranga Lakmal, Dilruwan Perera, Lahiru Gamage, Lakshan Sandakan, Vishwa Fernando, Dasun Shanaka, Niroshan Dickwella (wicketkeeper), Roshen Silva.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Re: India V/s Sri Lanka Once Again Nov 16- Dec 24, 2017 ! (3 Tests, 3 ODI's and T20's)

Postby bolero » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:52 am

Kolkata: Skipper Virat Kohli on Wednesday left it to the fans to decide if there has been an overkill of India-Sri Lanka contests in recent years, something that had led to dwindling interest in a cricket crazy nation.

India played an away Test series against islanders in 2015 followed by a short limited overs series at home in 2016 and in the current year are playing them full series across formats on home and away basis.

By the end of the Sri Lanka’s tour of India, the teams would end up playing 18 games against each other in space of 5 months.

Not to forget, India will again travel to Sri Lanka in 2018 to play the Independence Cup T20 tournament. When Kohli was asked whether India vs Sri Lanka battle is losing its sheen, he gave a subtle reply.

"It definitely has to be taken into consideration because you don't want fans going away from the game from watching the game. We have to maintain a balance of how to engage fans and keep players fresh at the same time and keep cricket exciting and keep it competitive through out the year. That point will be discussed in future definitely," Kohli dropped enough hints as to what he felt on the issue during the pre-match conference.

The Indian captain feels that fans are one of the biggest stakeholders in the game and they need to be taken into confidence.

"This needs analysis. It has to be done over a period of time by asking the fans who watch the game. For someone watching the game, it is very different than someone involved playing in the game.

"For us, there's no room for saying that "I don't want to play this game, or you cannot say I don't feel like batting while standing on the crease". There is no room for that because you will get out and the team will lose. we are at our absolute top intensity all the time."

Kohli made it clear that as cricketers they can only play an opposition that faces them but fans do have a choice to watch what they want to.

"It will be better answered by the fans who watch the game if there's too much cricket being played or repetition of same series for us it's about playing cricket for the country and we will do what we are presented with every time a new series comes up."

The immediate assignment may be against Sri Lanka but Kohli has already set his sights on the "difficult" tour of South Africa, where he is looking forward to embracing the "uncomfortable".

"If you can embrace playing in difficult conditions that will be the difference. We want to be uncomfortable, we want to embrace being uncomfortable and that's the most important thing."

"We want to build our games in such a way that we want to look forward to playing anywhere in the world. We just want to play good cricket, that's about it. We don't want to wait for conditions to suit our games," the skipper said with an obvious reference to the South African tour in January.

Indian team has been on a roll for sometime now with most of the Test matches happening at home.

"Right now, we have gone through a good phase where a lot of cricket has been played at home. We certainly believe a lot in ourselves as a team."

However the captain rightly pointed out that a good team needs to win everywhere in the world to be considered as a top notch outfit. The South Africa series starts January 5, with the first Test at Cape Town.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/sports/c ... -fans.html

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41 am

Rahul out for a duck to a jaffa on a seamer friendly track. India lost the toss.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:56 am

Lankan Akmal on fire.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:15 am

Rain once again.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:19 am

Jadeja next man in as India played 5 bowlers incl 2 spunners instead of Pandya.

This test could get interesting.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:23 am

bolero wrote:Kolkata: Skipper Virat Kohli on Wednesday left it to the fans to decide if there has been an overkill of India-Sri Lanka contests in recent years, something that had led to dwindling interest in a cricket crazy nation.

India played an away Test series against islanders in 2015 followed by a short limited overs series at home in 2016 and in the current year are playing them full series across formats on home and away basis.

By the end of the Sri Lanka’s tour of India, the teams would end up playing 18 games against each other in space of 5 months.

Not to forget, India will again travel to Sri Lanka in 2018 to play the Independence Cup T20 tournament. When Kohli was asked whether India vs Sri Lanka battle is losing its sheen, he gave a subtle reply.

"It definitely has to be taken into consideration because you don't want fans going away from the game from watching the game. We have to maintain a balance of how to engage fans and keep players fresh at the same time and keep cricket exciting and keep it competitive through out the year. That point will be discussed in future definitely," Kohli dropped enough hints as to what he felt on the issue during the pre-match conference.

The Indian captain feels that fans are one of the biggest stakeholders in the game and they need to be taken into confidence.

"This needs analysis. It has to be done over a period of time by asking the fans who watch the game. For someone watching the game, it is very different than someone involved playing in the game.

"For us, there's no room for saying that "I don't want to play this game, or you cannot say I don't feel like batting while standing on the crease". There is no room for that because you will get out and the team will lose. we are at our absolute top intensity all the time."

Kohli made it clear that as cricketers they can only play an opposition that faces them but fans do have a choice to watch what they want to.

"It will be better answered by the fans who watch the game if there's too much cricket being played or repetition of same series for us it's about playing cricket for the country and we will do what we are presented with every time a new series comes up."

The immediate assignment may be against Sri Lanka but Kohli has already set his sights on the "difficult" tour of South Africa, where he is looking forward to embracing the "uncomfortable".

"If you can embrace playing in difficult conditions that will be the difference. We want to be uncomfortable, we want to embrace being uncomfortable and that's the most important thing."

"We want to build our games in such a way that we want to look forward to playing anywhere in the world. We just want to play good cricket, that's about it. We don't want to wait for conditions to suit our games," the skipper said with an obvious reference to the South African tour in January.

Indian team has been on a roll for sometime now with most of the Test matches happening at home.

"Right now, we have gone through a good phase where a lot of cricket has been played at home. We certainly believe a lot in ourselves as a team."

However the captain rightly pointed out that a good team needs to win everywhere in the world to be considered as a top notch outfit. The South Africa series starts January 5, with the first Test at Cape Town.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/sports/c ... -fans.html

Yeah, playing cricket at home all year round but not Pakistan like India does is going to cause some staleness issues towards opposition eventually.

If they rotated an annual away tour to nations with huge footy codes like SA, Aus, Eng and NZ instead of playing at home so often it would keep things fresher for the Indian fans.

As it it stands - they've played all 4 at home without a single away test series to the teams named. Its not like the BCCI doesn't have a choice.

Ironically the BCCI has not been as enthusiastic about developing cricket in Ireland and Afghanistan let alone China when they seek to supply a 12 month at home package of it.

Oh well, enjoy yet another Sri Lanka series.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 am

Dont think the Indian fans are too interested in seeing another India - SL series.

There has been an overkill.

I feel India are playing far too much cricket. The players will be tired before SA series.

The players wishes have not been taken into consideration. For BCCI, commercial considerations only matter.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am

Dick Well a must cringe every time his name is played up.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 am

bolero wrote:Dont think the Indian fans are too interested in seeing another India - SL series.

There has been an overkill.

I feel India are playing far too much cricket. The players will be tired before SA series.

The players wishes have not been taken into consideration. For BCCI, commercial considerations only matter.

Tired is no real excuse before South Africa. India is historically expected to lose there whether fresh or tired. To me it seems that Kohli has been on damage control expecting to lose there since before the 4th test was scrapped.

Its not like India plays much more than England or Australia, nor travelled away overseas as much. I know they toured WI, SL and a CT in England since SA series in 2015 in India - but theres not many stamps in their passports.

Still, Kohli is far from NZ's own B McCullum who claimed he retired to spend more time with his family - and his since played in every overseas t20 league possible it seems.
Last edited by Paddles on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 am

Paddles, I dont think that is the case. Indian team has no say in the matter regarding itinerary or player availability.

BCCI orders and these players are puppets. I am quite sure after Champions trophy, neither England nor Australia have played as much. Even there India reached final, so there is not much time for rest / recuperation.

If players are carrying injuries, they have had it.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:33 am

bolero wrote:Paddles, I dont think that is the case. Indian team has no say in the matter regarding itinerary or player availability.

BCCI orders and these players are puppets. I am quite sure after Champions trophy, neither England nor Australia have played as much. Even there India reached final, so there is not much time for rest / recuperation.

You do realise since the CT, England played Safrica, WI and is now touring Australia for an Ashes and then NZ?! Straya will chalk up 15 tests after 5 Ashes test and 4 away tests to Safrica after 4 away to India and 2 to Bangladesh?!
Last edited by Paddles on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 am

This series was not required. Rather Indian team should have gone to South Africa early to acclimatise . Its a big mistake by BCCI.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am

Paddles wrote:
bolero wrote:Paddles, I dont think that is the case. Indian team has no say in the matter regarding itinerary or player availability.

You do realise since the CT, England played Safrica, WI and is now touring Australia for an Ashes and then NZ?!

India toured West Indies and Sri Lanka, home series against Australia and New Zealand and now another home series against Lanka.

Then immediately touring South Africa. I dont think this Sri Lankan tour should have been scheduled. Its a blunder. We may see the injuries cropping up in SA when India really needs its fittest team.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:38 am

bolero wrote:
Paddles wrote:
You do realise since the CT, England played Safrica, WI and is now touring Australia for an Ashes and then NZ?!

India toured West Indies and Sri Lanka, home series against Australia and New Zealand and now another home series against Lanka.

Then immediately touring South Africa. I dont think this Sri Lankan tour should have been scheduled. Its a blunder. We may see the injuries cropping up in SA when India really needs its fittest team.

Yeah - thats far less cricket, test cricket at that, and away cricket, than Aus and England. Straya are doing 4 tests away India and Safrica each and 2 to Bangladesh for the 12 month period ending March 2018.

India has had it easier than England (since India tour) n Straya of late.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am

Instead of playing this series, it would have been far more beneficial for Indian team to go 20 days early to South Africa and acclimatize is my opinion.

It worked for NZ as they played India 'A' in Vizag before playing Indian national team. One NZ member mentioned that this was deliberate strategy and was useful.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:50 am

There was a 2 day warm up game originally scheduled in Safrica.

The NZ intl series was not scheduled, but the 'A' series was and it was fortunate for NZ that BCCI even invited NZC as this past and next off season NZ cricketers are not really scheduled.

Either way - it won't be the scheduling that causes Safrica to beat India at home if and when they do so.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:36 pm

Looks like rain will play a major part in this test.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Green top and a lot of rain, lose the toss, this batting is exposed. There is no Dravid to save the team.

Pujara and Rahane not quite in the same league.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:46 pm

I am puzzled at Murali Vijays continued exclusion from the test team.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 pm

The ball begins to do a bit - and BCCI batsmen are exposed!
Tomorrow is however another day - and I expect BCCI to get right back into their minnow-bashing form.
But for now, feels good to be a Sri Lankan supporter. :-)

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Forecast is rain. It's been raining last 4 days at Kolkata now.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Six overs six maidens three wickets for no runs. Kohli for a duck. Nice, Lakmal!

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:43 pm

bolero wrote:Green top and a lot of rain, lose the toss, this batting is exposed. There is no Dravid to save the team.

Pujara one could argue is the closest to a Dravidian batsman?

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Boycs wrote:
bolero wrote:Green top and a lot of rain, lose the toss, this batting is exposed. There is no Dravid to save the team.

Pujara one could argue is the closest to a Dravidian batsman?

Yes. But early days yet.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:04 pm

52nd Test is pretty established but I suppose it does pale compared to 164 Tests

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Boycs, both Pujara and VVS Laxman made their entry into the Indian team on the back of imperious records in domestic cricket.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm

shourey
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby shourey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:07 pm

May be Ganguli sabotaged the pitch again against Indian team !!!
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-vs- ... 6oxPP.html

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:26 am

shourey wrote:May be Ganguli sabotaged the pitch again against Indian team !!!

:lmao: Good to see you back, Shourey.

This time, I support Ganguly. Good to see BCCI batsmen exposed when there's a little bit of movement happening.

All other wickets in India will be prepared to pamper BCCI batsmen. At least here, SL bowlers have just that bit of a chance.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:38 am

shourey wrote:May be Ganguli sabotaged the pitch again against Indian team !!!

Shourey, welcome back. We miss you.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:16 am

Pujara doing a rescue act, reminiscent of Vishwanath in the past, and, more recently, Dravid.
60/5 - still far from respectability.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:44 am

This reminds me eerily of the Durban test in 1996 when India were bowled out for 66 by South Africa, and Dravid was standing not out at the very end with 27. He couldnt do much as wickets fell at the other end.

Donald led the SA attack, Pollock, Klusener, McMillan etc were part of the attack. Donald was lethal and produced his best deliveries to dismiss Tendulkar that series.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:07 am

I remember Azharuddin was a walking wicket the entire 90's when India toured abroad. He couldnt play bounce or movement. Mostly snicking to the keeper. He was busy fixing matches as captain of the side.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:25 am

Scene is set for a classic Jadeja counter attacking 100.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:33 am

Paddles wrote:Scene is set for a classic Jadeja counter attacking 100.

May your words come true. India is short of lefty batsmen anyways. I may think of replacing Saha with lefty Parthiv Patel but Saha has does nothing to merit a sack except that he is a right handed batsman.

Envy the NZ team who have so many left handed batsmen and good batsmen at that. Latham, Munro. Even Santner whacked the Indian bowling.

We have one ' Hayabusa ' Dhawan who can only play one kind of game.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:40 am

Gambhir is a leftie but a bit dour. Santner is dour and quite limited. He's learning to bat time and accumulates very slowly. In odi he has a drop kick and a slog sweep but often gets caught on these, his most expansive shots.

Raval for NZ is dour but is also a leftie but quite effective. I support his suceess. I can happily watch him leave the ball.

NZ's best leftie to watch is arguably Jesse Ryder - but he has wrecked his intl career. Munro will never drive like Jesse even if they pull the same.

I really like watching Jadeja bat. One of my favourite cricketers. So is Yuvraj in white ball - who is also a leftie.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:51 am

What happened to Ryder ? I liked him a lot.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:56 am

bolero wrote:What happened to Ryder ? I liked him a lot.

He kept getting drunk and making news headlines, sometimes his fault, sometimes not. He lost his ipl gig after being attacked and having his skull fractured (in NZ).

He still and currently tops our batting charts but he's a no-go for selectors now. Rightly or wrongly.

The guy had a troubled childhood and has issues. He needs guidance. Very sad. He's a star for Essex in county cricket as an all rounder tho.

Total waste of talent. He's far more of a batsman than Ross Taylor. But Ross makes more of his comparatively limited talents.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:26 am

Yes, Ryder was a good player - I remember he was a thorn for BCCI on one of their tours to NZ.

This Test is a write-off from here.
So yes, won't be surprised if Jadeja comes in and hammers the attack a bit.
By now, he must be used to scoring in matches of no consequence.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 am

Ryder I remember was a clean hitter of the ball. And bowled decent medium pace. Sad he had drinking issues.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 am

Coming back to India, lets see the team for South African tour.

This collapse reiterates that Murali Vijay (poor man's Dilshan) needs to be in this Indian side.

Dhawan should remain (Rahul as backup). Rohit Sharma should be taken as cover in the Indian middle order. I would have Parthiv in the side (for left / right mix).

I will play Chahal and Kuldeep in all tests V/s South Africa with balance 3 seamers (Yadav, Shami, Kumar) in case of a 5 man attack.

In case an extra batsman is played, attacking options are limited. Maybe team can go for Pandya.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 am

Pujara and Kohli are the only certainties in batting for SA tour. all other places are in doubt.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 am

bolero wrote:Pujara and Kohli are the only certainties in batting for SA tour. all other places are in doubt.

List your XI. Do you have Pandya in it or both Ash and Jadeja? Or more batting instead?

Who would replace Trahane?

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:32 pm

My Team in SA

Murali Vijay
Dhawan
Pujara
Kohli
Rohit Sharma / Rahane
Pandya
Parthiv Patel / Saha
Yadav / Shami
Kumar
Kuldeep Yadav / Jadeja
Chahal / Ashwin

I would prefer the wrist spinners in first 11.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:38 pm

On a fast track, will drop Kuldeep Yadav and pick 4 fast bowlers (which includes Pandya).
Last edited by bolero on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:41 pm

South Africas weakness is against quality wrist spin. I would prefer to play the 2 wrist spinners. Indian pacers are meat and drink for SA batsmen.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Was watching the highlights. Dhawan and Rahane played really casual loose shots. Both Lakmal and Shanaka are medium pace about 125 kmph. Exaggerated swing movement but one should learn from Dravid Bangar and Pujara how to leave the ball.