baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

Re: Champions Trophy 2017

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue May 30, 2017 2:09 am

Misty wrote:
squarecut wrote:England or Australia look like winning it.

None will win in the final
Hi Misty how are you?

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Tue May 30, 2017 5:14 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Boycs can you tell me was their anything in the deck for the quicks in the England v Saffer match yesterday? If there was not good signs for your boys. I rate only Root and Bairstow as having good solid techniques against the moving quick ball. Robarda made a mess of your top order. It is all very well stacking your side with strokemakers or flat trackers but you also have to have someone that can occuply the crease should there be a disasterous start.

Not really from what I saw though I didn't see a lot of the match. It certainly wasn't swinging. There were instances of rain and overhead but didn't look like any issues from the pitch

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:12 am

Wow the
Poms 6/20 in the 1st 5 overs, not a bad recovery though.

mukeshkr
CF Regular
CF Regular
India

Re: ICC Champions Trophy: June 1-18, 2017 in England

Postby mukeshkr » Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 am

WarmUp Match was started and it ended today last match between IND vs BAN. Can India Won 2nd Match Also Predict Who Will Win. Current Score of the both team was 55/2 Over (10.4)
Free Sports & Cricket Betting at 24sevenbet

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue May 30, 2017 12:34 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Boycs can you tell me was their anything in the deck for the quicks in the England v Saffer match yesterday? If there was not good signs for your boys. I rate only Root and Bairstow as having good solid techniques against the moving quick ball. Robarda made a mess of your top order. It is all very well stacking your side with strokemakers or flat trackers but you also have to have someone that can occuply the crease should there be a disasterous start.

This is exactly what England has ceased doing since 2015WC to improve their chances of winning more games. The chance of a sub 200 collapse is higher but so are scores of 350 pushing 400 also greater. So far so good.

Root isn't there cos he plays the moving ball well - he's there cos his stroke play is the best of any Englishman incl Buttler.

Any news on the Aussie best xi side yet?
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

mukeshkr
CF Regular
CF Regular
India

Postby mukeshkr » Wed May 31, 2017 11:40 am

Bangladesh (From): Tamim Iqbal, Soumya Sarkar, Sabbir Rahman, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim(w), Mahmudullah, Mosaddek Hossain Saikat, Mashrafe Mortaza©, Mehedi Hasan, Taskin Ahmed, Mustafizur Rahman, Imrul Kayes, Sunzamul Islam, Shafiul Islam, Rubel Hossain

England (From): Jason Roy, Alex Hales, Joe Root, Eoin Morgan©, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler(w), Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Adil Rashid, Liam Plunkett, Mark Wood, David Willey, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Sam Billings Free Cricket Betting India

Predict Who Will 1st Match of the Champion Trophy. England have the maximum chance because they have the advantage of their home ground and also get support from their audience. Predict and Win Prizes online at 24sevenbet.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

ICC Champions Trophy: June 1-18, 2017 in England

Postby Going South » Wed May 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Boycs wrote:I wonder what that means. "Ensure my safety". So they wouldn't have done without being asked first? Or does asking suddenly trigger a whole new level of resources that were previously just shut in some garage somewhere? Or does asking mean that, if something does happen, they can then take legal action afterwards because they'd asked for their safety to be "ensured."

Pretty sure safety of the public at sporting events, along with other public events, is paramount. Regardless who public asks for a safety assurance.

Felt the same when England said similar to Bangladesh. "We are officially asking you to ensure you protect or players" well no Effing shit?! Did you think they'd just go "f**k it they didn't ask to be protected?"

I don't get people sometimes. :(

I mean it as a demand but not out of necessity.
Think of Pakistan.
Couple of years back when they asked the lankans to tour Pakistan they accepted out of goodwill. They are promised with good security. We all know what happened. There is no limit on how adequate security can be. 2 guards & be done or round the clock surveillance for each player shadowed coverage ?

When Pakistani terrorists did bomb blasts in India English team continued the tour with promise from BCCI with immense police protection.

It would be ok & reasonable if BCCI ask for similar special extra protection to their players playing in England esp if the cricket grounds are near to high Muslim concentrated areas of Britain. If I were you I would avoid going to India vs Pakistan match. I hope all go fine.

Honestly, I would not even walk over some certain streets of England today. As I don't have beard or mustache Muslims would think I am either non following muslim that need some admonishment or worse a hindu & my brown skin would be looked at with contempt by islamophobes. Heard there are some NO-GO zones of England (ghettos?) where even police dare not enter ?
Cricketers won't be safe out in the open even if they want to do some shopping in malls either.

Hope English police take it with seriousness and provide high security to all visiting players.

PS: Sorry I could not reply earlier as I was away on Florida vacation with kids for Disney attractions.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Wed May 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Live games :dance: :dance:

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Wed May 31, 2017 6:34 pm

As for no go areas that the police don't enter I can assure you with confidence that that is not the case.

England has endured scarier periods of terrorism that the current one (I speak only of the risk of attacks in this country, internationally the current climate is more severe and widespread than the IRA ever was I would argue). Though given the near certainty that the security services foil attacks on a weekly basis that perhaps they weren't able to foil during the Troubles, it might not be a true comparison.

I would agree that there are areas of certain cities that people of a certain appearance or culture should not go to for reasons of their own safety, but I don't think that's anything new. I imagine areas of London like Brixton were worse in the eighties and seventies than they are now.

In fact I'd say that such areas were more of a no go area for police then than they are now.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Wed May 31, 2017 6:40 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_o ... _Blakelock

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Brixton_riot

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Toxteth_riots

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Orgreave

I would say these were darker times for the safety of the public and their relationship with the government and the security services.

Certainly is the darkest time in terms of international tension felt in the U.K. for a long time. I would argue that he nation is more united though

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Wed May 31, 2017 11:03 pm

:lmao: : :rj: :dance:

:popcorn:

England v Bangladesh, Champions Trophy, Group A

Blockbusting England must beware complacency

June 1, 2017
Start time 10.30am local (0930 GMT)

Fleming: Attitude the biggest change for England

Two of the most-improved ODI teams of the last two years will be pitted against each other in the Champions Trophy opener. England and Bangladesh have turned heads with their progressive approach as they have developed settled line-ups that can match any top team. Both have been entertaining to watch, too, promoting cricketers who have natural flair and an eye for the big occasion.

England have an out-and-out aggressive batting line-up that can sometimes be as deep as No. 11. Eoin Morgan and Joe Root are the experienced hands in a team that has topped the 400-run mark twice in the last two years; 300-plus totals have become England's ODI staple.

Ben Stokes is rapidly developing into one of the best allrounders in the world, an ode to the England approach of picking genuine allrounders over bits-and-pieces cricketers. Uncertainty persists as to the condition of Stokes' knee but he - along with Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali and Adil Rashid - will be key to England's chances of success in the Champions Trophy.

To counter, Bangladesh have the combined experience of their captain Mashrafe Mortaza, vice-captain Shakib Al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal, Mushfiqur Rahim and Mahmudullah. They have played 828 ODIs between them, and have been highly influential in the team's advancement in the last two years. Add the magical Mustafizur Rahman and the uber-talented Mehedi Hasan, and you have a team that ticks most of the boxes in modern ODI cricket.

Since their disastrous 2015 World Cup campaign (which was ended by defeat to Bangladesh in Adelaide), England have the second best record against this year's Champions Trophy participating teams. In the same list, Bangladesh have more wins than India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Compare that with the previous two-year cycle (between the 2013 Champions Trophy and 2015 World Cup), when both struggled for consistency, winning far fewer matches against the top eight sides of that period.

One of the key battles in this encounter will be the last 10 overs of the England innings, because England have the highest average run rate (8.63) during this period of the innings in the last two years while the Bangladesh bowlers have the lowest run rate, 6.68 per over, among the top eight teams.

Both teams, however, go into the game with disturbances to their overall plan. Both collapsed badly in their last match: England slipping to 20 for 6 against South Africa in the third ODI at Lord's, while Bangladesh were bowled out for 84 against India in their last practice match at The Oval. These two results serve a final reminder that eye off the ball could be disastrous, especially in a tournament format that leaves very little margin for error.

England are favourites among many experts ahead of the competition, which includes the India captain Virat Kohli; everyone is wary of a home team that has a squad full of blockbuster cricketers. England, though, know all too well that taking Bangladesh lightly could prove very costly

Form guide

England LWWWW (last five completed matches, most recent first)
Bangladesh WWLLW

In the spotlight

Mark Wood brought himself into the limelight after his stunning final over in the second ODI against South Africa handed England the series. His pace was always impressive but through this performance, he showed that he can bring it to the toughest stage of a game. England's bowling attack needs an X-factor in the Champions Trophy, and Wood looks like the man who can provide it.

Shakib Al Hasan has won the most Man-of-the-Match awards for Bangladesh but he hasn't won one since the first ODI against Afghanistan in September last year. Since then, he has averaged 28.38 with the bat and 41.62 with the ball, which is very unlike Shakib of the last 10 years. But more often than not, he doesn't let a slide go for too long, and the Champions Trophy opener is the perfect occasion to break it.

Team news

Jonny Bairstow is set to miss out as England stick with the out-of-form Jason Roy. Everyone in the squad has been passed fit but Stokes will have another test on the morning of the game to see how much he can bowl; that may affect the balance of the attack, with Jake Ball the first-reserve seamer.

England: (probable) 1 Jason Roy, 2 Alex Hales, 3 Joe Root, 4 Eoin Morgan (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Jos Buttler (wk), 7 Moeen Ali, 8 Adil Rashid, 9 Chris Woakes, 10 Liam Plunkett, 11 Mark Wood

Through their performances in the last week, Rubel Hossain and Mehedi have, in all likelihood, won individual battles ahead of Taskin Ahmed and Sunzamul Islam for the third seamer and second spinner slots. Meanwhile, the Imrul Kayes v Sabbir Rahman debate for the No. 3 spot is still in favour of the incumbent Sabbir.

Bangladesh: (probable) 1 Tamim Iqbal, 2 Soumya Sarkar, 3 Sabbir Rahman, 4 Mushfiqur Rahim, 5 Mahmudullah, 6 Shakib Al Hasan, 7 Mosaddek Hossain, 8 Mehedi Hasan, 9 Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), 10 Rubel Hossain, 11 Mustafizur Rahman

Pitch and conditions

Historically, The Oval is known to offer batting-friendly pitches, which goes hand-in-hand with how ICC events have prepared surfaces of late. But batting first here in a day game actually favours the bowling unit. The ground has not hosted a day ODI in the last four years, and the team batting first has averaged a meagre 213 on the last five occasions. This year during the Royal London One-Day Cup, the side batting first in day games averaged 244 runs. Though the weather is forecast to be rain free, there is likely to be cloud cover.

Stats and trivia

•In multi-team events like the World Cup and Champions Trophy, England have lost three out of five games at The Oval. Overall, however, they have a far better record, winning 25 out of 43 ODIs at the ground.

•Mustafizur has the most wickets (43), best bowling figures (6-43), best bowling average (16.00), best strike-rate (20.7) and the most five-fors (3) among the Bangladesh bowlers who have played at least 15 ODIs since the 2015 World Cup.

• Bangladesh won their first ODI against England in 2010. Including that match at Bristol, they have won four out of their last seven meetings.

Quotes

"It's a very strange injury. Only in delivery stride he feels pain. If he couldn't bowl he'd still make a great contribution with bat and in the field"
Eoin Morgan ponders the Stokes injury situation

"It was a long time back. And after then, England is a totally different team. The way they are playing, if you look at the last two years, their performance, they win almost everything. And especially in home, they are a serious side."
Mashrafe Mortaza isn't giving too much weight to Bangladesh's two World Cup wins

Resources.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Wed May 31, 2017 11:05 pm

My prediction of English victory because England's strike rate of 8.63 in last 10 overs since last 2 years.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:46 am

Misty wrote:My prediction of English victory because England's strike rate of 8.63 in last 10 overs since last 2 years.

Errr
They will win because Bangladeshi team is bad not that English team is good.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:49 am

Thanks for links on 1985 down history memory lane.
Today most of London comes to standstill every Friday afternoon as many roads would be blocked by Muslims doing prayers in the middle of streets where traffic jams up. A no-go on common roads too.

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Norfolk Island

Postby Leo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:28 am

Good Luck Bangladesh :bts:
Time is the Best Speaker

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:54 am

No Rasheed? So 5 seamers plus Ali.

Hope they do this when playing NZ as well.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:10 am

Dropped by Mo off jack (B)
29 /0 by BD

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:19 am

Going South wrote:Thanks for links on 1985 down history memory lane.
Today most of London comes to standstill every Friday afternoon as many roads would be blocked by Muslims doing prayers in the middle of streets where traffic jams up. A no-go on common roads too.

I still do not know why Afghanistan blame Pakistan for bombing in Kabul about some 90 death, Afghanistan cancell their t20 tour
At Kabul and Lahore Vs innocent Pakistan

1985? Down memory lane.it could be 1868 or 1982, as you notices I am doing monthly day by day but I wonder why February 1st still on page 1 it should be on page 2 now, otherwise script could be way too long by next 6 mos.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:25 am

54 off 11 still no loss.Ben Stokes request his captain to give him bowling
Ben 1/0/4/1
Congratulation BS, he knows he can take wicket Sarkar departs for 28

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 am

Going South wrote:Thanks for links on 1985 down history memory lane.

You mean 1985 link with
Azheruddin hits 3 century in his first 3 test following his debut Vs England.?
(Actually 4 vs England because he hammered 182* for BPXL so he was called
for test, he still hold record, no one yet scores 3 in their 3 test from making debut)

I think upul Tharanga born in 1985 (Feb.2nd)

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:54 am

I remember 1985 (jun1st) especially of viv Richards one innings (322) vs Warwickshire, he reached from 100 to 300 in 130 deliveries, his record of 300@ day stood for 21 years till Justin Langer cracked 342 in single day for Somerset vs Surrey.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:57 am

Good score 95 for 1 considering slow starts after first 6 over

Good catch by wood off Plunkett
Kayes out for 19
95 /2 off 19.2 overs
Last edited by Misty on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:59 am

90% rain expectation on Cricket forcast website of England, on Sunday: ind vs pak.game that day, lovely weather in England today

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:05 am

Congratulations Tamim iqbal for yet another 50*

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Misty wrote:Congratulations Tamim iqbal for yet another 50*

And now 100*

Bangladesh Bangladesh Bangladesh Bangladesh

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:33 pm

250 up in 44th over.

Mushfiqur is cutting loose.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:42 pm

2 new batsman in
2 ball =2 wickets

England back into game
Error of judgment by mushy
Plunkett 3 for 55
262 for 4
Tamim 128 out
Mushy 79 out

10/0/59/4
Plunkett
England needs 306 to win who scored 300 plus in 9 international consecutively, good luck Bangladeshi spinner

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:08 pm

Highest score by BD vs England today on road.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:59 pm

Ouch. Is England team bowling that bad?

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Going South wrote:Ouch. Is England team bowling that bad?

England one down too, chasing 306, Roy in bad form recently so I am not worry much.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Going South wrote:Ouch. Is England team bowling that bad?

tamim (128) and mushy (79) put on 150 plus so bangers too good than you thought.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm

so much going on in the world at the moment, we live in interesting times
hard to stay in touch with cricket

just checked in...decent score Bangers

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Katto wrote:so much going on in the world at the moment, we live in interesting times
hard to stay in touch with cricket

just checked in...decent score Bangers

111 for 1
England in 20 overs

Vs

BD after 10
36 /0

No bombing on earth in last 10 hours so you can sticks with cricket

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:05 pm

Congratulations Hales (71*) and Root (50*) for 50's plus effortless 100 runs stands

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Part timer Sabbir removed Alex Hales for 95
England 2 down for 165 off 29
In form Morgan joined Root (65*)
Second wicket put on 159 excellent runs

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:45 pm

February 6th 2016, @Port Elizabeth ODI vs proteas Alex Hales hold out for 99
Twice he was dismissed for 94 @Chester -lee street

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Calm down Misty. The matches did not start yet.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Misty wrote:February 6th 2016, @Port Elizabeth ODI vs proteas Alex Hales hold out for 99
Twice he was dismissed for 94 @Chester -lee street

99 vs WI @ Nottingham in t20 in 2012

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Going South wrote:Calm down Misty. The matches did not start yet.

Alex just dismissed for 95

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:59 pm

116 need of 102
8 wickets in hand

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:03 pm

SGGH
Where are you.Duckett and Malan destroyed Proteas
17 overs 132 for 0 chasing 269
Bavuma hits 43

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Going south,
My last post of the day
If you watching live on willow (chaneel 1171)
Tune to 239 channel its better picture than 1171
In NJ willow on 1171.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Hales went for one six too many out for 95. Root currently 95 not out. England have this in hand.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 pm

48 needed from 42 balls

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Solid win but allowing Bangladesh to score 300+ highlights England's weakness: their bowling. It's easily their weaker suit and in a bat dominated format where all the main teams are strong it's going to be on the back of one or two good bowling performances that the eventual winner takes the tournament.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Boycs wrote:Solid win but allowing Bangladesh to score 300+ highlights England's weakness: their bowling. It's easily their weaker suit and in a bat dominated format where all the main teams are strong it's going to be on the back of one or two good bowling performances that the eventual winner takes the tournament.

England's Trump card 90% out of CT 2017 -- Woakes (I think he kill himself in IPL )
306 is highest score succesfully chased by England,previous CT record was 297 for 3 by Lanka

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:59 am

It is ironic to note that while Indian pitches are becoming bowler friendly, England pitches are becoming like the pitches tailormade for batsman- something which was a specialty of India, and BCCI would receive lots of flak for such pitches.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:40 am

I thought the issue with Indian pitches was how they were so batsman friendly until they broke apart whereupon making them so bowler friendly that the toss on day one pretty much decides the winner for you.

mukeshkr
CF Regular
CF Regular
India

Postby mukeshkr » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:59 am

Can Australia win Today's Match? That was the Pressure Game for both teams both are looking to win this match and fixed their place in the semi-final. Predict Who Will Win Today's Match Predict and Win Prizes online at 24sevenbet

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

Aus vs NZ, Birmingham

Starts at 03:00 PM IST

Guptill have named their XI already. Here it is for you

"There is an even cover of grass which is really hard. This will be a good one for the fast bowlers. All and all a good batting one but fast bowlers can come through," Warne on the pitch

Let's talk about the conditions now. The forecast says that we might get some showers during the day. As long as it does not wash it out, I don't mind a bit of gloom, for the pitch is going to be a belter and only the weather can even out the contest. Toss and teams will be your way soon. There's still time left for that hence I would suggest, scroll down and read Ganesh's long-form and much detailed preview.

Deepu Narayanan tells us that Australia have never lost a game against New Zealand in the Champions Trophy and they would certainly not want to blemish the record on their captain's birthday. That they have won 90 ODIs against New Zealand - the most by any team against an opposition - tells us how dominant they have been despite the rivalry that produces great contests. It's not that these two teams have not faced each other since the World Cup. There were two ODI series in the last six months and maintaining the balance of power, Australia won at home and then New Zealand came good in their den.

A few things have changed since. Haddin's handed over the gloves to Matthew Wade who is equally chirpy if not more. The leader that took New Zealand to that final in Melbourne will commentate this time. Brendon McCullum has passed the reins to Kane Williamson. But there are some constants as well: like Australia having a bag full of pacers, Steven Smith's form and an all-rounder heavy New Zealand.

Now that we are on the topic, let's jog our memory a bit. New Zealand's niceness was the talk of the 2015 World Cup where they eventually finished as the runner-ups. The nice guys lost, and against whom? Against a self-proclaimed ruthless bunch which approaches things a little differently than its neighbours. Brad Haddin's send offs to Martin Guptill and Grant Elliot - in the final - were heavily criticized. Earlier during the group stages, so nice were the Kiwis that it made Haddin 'uncomfortable'. But who cares? Certainly not the Aussies. Taking pride in sledging is the OZ style and it is this contrast in the nature of play of Australia and New Zealand that serves us one of the delicately carved steak-like juicy rivalry in modern day cricket. Welcome to the second game of the tournament. We are all set for a rematch of the 2015 final. I am Abhishek Chaudhary and I will be joined by another set of nice guys, soon.

09:15 Local Time, 08:15 GMT, 13:45 IST: 'Nice people finish last,' remarked Sanjay Manjrekar during the recently held IPL. Manjrekar was observing the contrast between the fair play points and points table position of the teams during the IPL. Ironically, cricket's quintessential bunch of nice guys - New Zealand - are seldom the last finishers. Verily not at the Champions Trophy where they were one of the early winners back in 2000 when the tournament was played in a knockout format.

Edgbaston, Birmingham has been the setting for many a brilliant contest involving Australia. Their opponents this time around would not be their usual ones at this ground but a familiar rival nevertheless. New Zealand and Australia's Trans-Tasman rivalry has some history behind it and the last time these two met, hosts New Zealand blanked the visitors 2-0. That was just earlier in the year. But the conditions here in England are quite different from the ones back in New Zealand and so just like Australia, the Kiwis too will know the importance of a fresh start. Coming as it does as the first match of the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 for both teams, it is loaded with the added importance of momentum. A loss early will put a team back by quite a bit in the league stages and there will be little room for error.

While New Zealand have the advantage of playing a few recent games in this format, a majority of Australia's players will be back to this format after close to four months. The conditions and format take some time to adjust to but the team has settled in under the leadership of Steve Smith. The availability of a good, strong pace attack could be Australia's biggest strength. A day before the game, Steve Smith ruled out the possibility of playing all of Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson and Josh Hazlewood. But any combination of the four available will make the attack threatening.

New Zealand too will be faced with a problem of plenty given the options at hand. Luke Ronchi did well in the practice game against India but hasn't had much success in ODIs for a while now. But he, along with Martin Guptill, at the top would make for a formidable opening combination. Tom Latham has done more than a decent job at the top of the order and it will be a tough call to pick either him or Ronchi. The off-colour Corey Anderson too makes for an all-rounder conundrum but New Zealand's biggest worry would be getting to the massive scores that are now the norm in ODIs. Much will depend on the solidity of Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor in the middle order. Both men have been in good form and will be burdened with the task of carrying the batting for as long as possible.

That both teams have a problem with picking the right combination is an open secret, and therefore it all the more imperative that the first punt goes right. In a tournament that doesn't allow much breathing space, chopping and changing can become problematic. And so a lot hinges on the decisions made even before the toss for which a lot of head-wracking is bound to be done.

When: 2nd June, 2017 at 10:30 AM Local Time

Where: Edgbaston, Birmingham

What to expect: Predictions are for a gloomy morning, and perhaps even a spot of rain, before the sun gets out in the afternoon. If that holds true, then the toss and eventually the team that chases are in for a distinct advantage from the outset.

Team News:

Australia: Picking the right men from the pace quartet and the right all-rounder from Marcus Stoinis or John Hastings are just some of the worries for Steve Smith and Co. There are no injury concerns that, in this situation, could have made his job a little easier. That said the problem of plenty is always only welcomed by teams. And the right combination is to be decided on the day of the match, depending on the conditions on offer. Mitchell Starc is probably one name that is automatically slotted in but it's toss up between the other three to see who gets to fit in. Given the conditions that are likely to be found, it won't be a surprise if Australia go in without a frontline spinner.

Probable XI: David Warner, Aaron Finch, Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell, Travis Head, Moises Henriques/Chris Lynn, Matthew Wade, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood

New Zealand: The opening combination and the all-rounder worries, along with picking the right pace combination, leave New Zealand with plenty to think about. Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor and Martin Guptill are probably the only automatic picks in the first eleven. Even leading the side just recently or being in good form might not necessarily warrant a spot for the likes of Tom Latham.

Probable XI: Martin Guptill, Tom Latham, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Neil Broom, Luke Ronchi, Jimmy Neesham, Mitchell Santner, Trent Boult, Tim Southee, Mitchell McClenaghan

Stats and Trivia:

- Australia has a never lost a Champions Trophy game against New Zealand - winning four while one match ended in a no-result.

- David Warner and Steve Smith average 28.16 (SR 76) and 27.90 respectively in ODIs in England. Warner is 54 runs way from becoming the third fastest player to reach 4000 ODI runs.

- Edgbaston has been a high scoring venue with an average of 39.18 and RR of 6.41 in the Royal London Cup 2017. Teams posted 300 batting first in three of the four games while the remaining game saw 284 chased down inside 48 overs.

Quotes:

I didn't know it was his birthday. Hopefully not too many half-volleys. He doesn't need any. He's scoring plenty of runs. So should be a good game. Look forward to it - Kane Williamson, when asked if New Zealand had a birthday present for Steve Smith.

It's very challenging in the nets, particularly if there's a little bit in the wicket. So it's been a great challenge for our batters. It's always nice facing those kind of guys and being challenged. So everyone's a little bit quicker in the nets as well. So when you get out in the middle, things seem a little bit easier, and hopefully it shows when we bat tomorrow - Steve Smith on batting against Australia's pace quartet during practice.

Teams:

Australia (From): David Warner, Aaron Finch, Steven Smith(c), Chris Lynn, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade(w), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Adam Zampa, James Pattinson, Travis Head, John Hastings, Moises Henriques

New Zealand (From): Martin Guptill, Tom Latham, Kane Williamson(c), Ross Taylor, Neil Broom, Corey Anderson, Luke Ronchi(w), James Neesham, Tim Southee, Jeetan Patel, Trent Boult, Mitchell Santner, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell McClenaghan, Adam Milne

Resources
Cricketbuzz