Interfaith wedding organizers in Bangalore?

All users now must RE-REGISTER now to access forum.

We would keep section open for all, please post here if you have any trouble logging in
Daanav
VIP User
VIP User

Interfaith wedding organizers in Bangalore?

Post by Daanav »

I was only visiting my hometown Bangalore from the UK for our winter retirement sojourn but were obliged to postpone our return to the UK to July due to COVID situation there. Now a new and unwanted headache has landed on my lap. I need a bit of advice, please.

The son of a former colleague and friend has just returned from the US and wants to get married in good ol' Bengaluru. The trouble is that he is a Hindu and the girl a Muslim. Both families have completely and totally shunned them both (in her case, almost violently so), as have most friends and relatives. The guy, whom I briefly helped to train for scuba diving a few years ago (unfortunately, I am now his favorite 'uncle' if you know what I mean), has turned to me for help. I don't know what I can do. I definitely don't want to get involved if I can help it; apart from the fact that I would be antagonizing his family, I don't want to be a victim of the backlash that is certain to follow from both sides. Moreover, the 'New' Bangalore is totally different from the city I grew-up in and once knew very well.

I've told the couple that the best I can do is to help them to get a loan and speak to some professional wedding organizers on their behalf (I have only seen websites; know nothing about them). I am worried how much the financial angle will commit me as a retired person. Can someone suggest what I should tell the couple without putting them in further despair and at the same time keep my family and myself free of repercussions?
going south
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interfaith wedding organizers in Bangalore?

Post by going south »

Too bad they have to live secret life with new names as it’s the only way they can survive and live peacefully in India. They would live in a constant fear looking over the shoulder. Most want inter religious marriages only hindu girls married off to other religions as one way street. If you count from both sides is not equal on any given day as per stats. You need more yogi like people to curb love-jihad. No religious conversion allowed in such. All should state what religion should kids be named before marriage only and it should be equal for all kids. 2 kids, 1 of each religion name. 3 kids, at least one other religion name, not all same religion. Violators punished. No registration allowed. It’s not just in India, I see it in UK, Canada, US also. Government need to implement stricter punishments for violators with new laws.
Daanav
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Daanav »

Wow! That's complicated. I guess I have been out of India too long.

By the way, it is the girl, who is the Muslim; the guy is from a Hindu Brahmin family (Iyers). The issue is that both families are very well educated, know each other and (on the surface at least), appear secular. They were in reasonably friendly terms till this problem cropped up now there is a lot of mutual mud-slinging going on. That is the reason that I do not want to the the 'elder' caught up in the middle.
going south wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:18 pm Too bad they have to live secret life with new names as it’s the only way they can survive and live peacefully in India. They would live in a constant fear looking over the shoulder. Most want inter religious marriages only hindu girls married off to other religions as one way street.
Thanks, but I am not sure if they can manage that option as they have to remain in Bangalore because of their jobs. He is an architect and she is in IT. But given the cost of living in Bangalore these days and no roof over their heads, I doubt if they can manage. I have spoke to a few people who said a small, rented apartment might be possible to get but even IF the couple choose to defy their families and marry, they have to remain in Bangalore because of their jobs. Their respective families have disowned them completely and not only will they not get a rupee from either, there might be serious repercussions (if you can guess what I mean) from the girl's relatives. I don't think they are physically or mentally equipped to handle things like that.

More than anything else, we - my wife and I - don't want to be in the middle of a family feud. My worried wife has repeatedly asked me not to interfere. Other than antagonizing two rather strong families, there is the financial angle that concerns me. We are retired and we certainly cannot and will not be able to provide any kind of security for their loans etc. I don't knw how such things work in India. At best we can partly pay wedding costs secretly but that's about it.
Daanav
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Daanav »

I just checked with the young man about his options un the US. Apparently, he was only there for a year's training course or something organized by his employers (a private company with US links) in Bangalore. No Green Card or anything like that. The girl he wants to marry is a former collage-mate and the two families knew each other.

His parents themselves are quite passive people but are dead against this match. There are some more militant RSS type relatives who blame the girl's Muslim family for causing the problem. This appears to be escalating into something really ugly and I think I'd best back out before someone from one or the other side decides to take me to task for helping.