French Open 2010

Discuss topics related to other sports here.
bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
Cash on hand: Locked
India

French Open 2010

Postby bharathh » Tue May 25, 2010 8:44 pm

The French Open is back and tennis is back in the spotlight.

The big names have made it through the early rounds with ease (with the notable exception of Safina).

India's lone entrant (Somdev Devvarman) has been eliminated in the first round after winning all 3 of his qualifying matches :(

Bhupathi, Paes and Bopanna are still alive in the doubles tournament.
Last edited by bharathh on Tue May 25, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Re: French Open 2010

Postby bharathh » Tue May 25, 2010 8:45 pm

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Thu May 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Found these daily round-ups on the rolandgarros site. Very nice!

Roundup for May 26 (Day 4)

10.02 pm: What drama to finish off the day! And we'll have to finish that - and Murray-Chela - tomorrow. Along with Nadal, Serena, Nole and plenty more. Join us then for another day - and night's - entertainment! Always a pleasure, never a chore!

9.53 pm: 15-40! Two match points! Monfils dominates and saves the first… 30-40, second serve. And he saves the second with one on the line! Deuce! Ad and match point Fognini as Gael comes in but again drops one into the net. Long from Foggy and Gael has saved his third match point! 5-5! And that's your lot!

9.43 pm: Baghdatis takes the third, Isner-Chiudinelli is suspended at 5-5. Monfils drags it back to 40-30…Deuce! Ad Monf! Deuce! Oh, the drama! Big serve, Fognini comes in and LaMonf passes him! The crowd goes wild! Deuce! Ad Fognini! Flags wave! Fans chant! 5-4 Fognini as a Monf drop finds nothing but net - the first one he'd tried in ages. And they're carrying on!

9.39 pm: One more game then that's it, so we'll finish at 5-4! Fognini wants off, he's trying to leave, but Steafn Fransson, ITF Grand Slam supervisor, won't let him! High drama in fading light... Fognini complains some more and the umpire docks him a point! 0-15! Fabio levels it up at 15-all after a 21-shot rally, with the pro-Monfils crowd booing lustily. The next one is 29 shots, and again LaMonf puts one wide. 30-15.

9.35 pm: Monfils comes back from 0-30 to hold, 4-4. Monfils wants to carry on, Fognini wants off… His corner are saying "No no no", so Monfils gets the crowd to start cheering. Will we play on? It looks like it...

9.30 pm: Chela breaks back and asks if he can finish off tomorrow. 3-3. And yes, that’s it. Murray doesn’t look happy about it.

Fognini holds meanwhile, to lead 4-3, Baghdatis is serving for the set and Isner is serving to stay in the set. 5-4 in both.

9.25 pm: 3-3, and the crowd goes wild as Monfils levels matters. Murray meanwhile is roamin’ in the gloamin’, stuck at deuce on his service trying to the break he earned earlier.

9.24 pm: Isner – Chiudinelli is 4-4, Baghdatis is about to serve at 4-5, and my mate Remy Azemard, tournament ref, is waiting in the wings as the light fades.

9.21 pm: Fognini races into a 3-0 lead! The crowd is hushed. Monfils holds then breaks back! 3-2! Murray meanwhile leads 3-2 and is serving.

9.05 pm: Fognini hits some absolutely pure winners, then at break and set point, Monfils second serves then slices one into the net. We will have a fifth set! As the sun sets over the yard arm…

9.02 pm: Fognini breaks back, then holds! 5-4! What’s happening out there?

8.56 pm: Long rally, tension mounts, Chiudinelli concludes with a winner and takes the tie-break 7-3 over Isner, to the delight of a still healthy crowd on No.6.

8.53 pm: Murray serves out. It should have been to love, but the net cord denies him first time around. Not that he’ll complain – 15 will do. 6-2. Will they carry on or stop now? They’ll carry on!

8.50 pm: Murray has a set point but Chela outdrops him and then smashes one home to hold. Muzzer to serve, 5-2.

8.40 pm: Ah, all of a sudden, Murray is 4-1 up. Chela’s big hits have suddenly become misses.

8.37 pm: Berdych is through in three, to face the winner of Isner and Chiudinelli. The “other” Basle boy is 4-5, 0-30 down to the 6’10” American with his size 14 (UK, 15 – US, 50 – European) feet.

8.34 pm: Aha – reasonably normal service is resumed as Monfils breaks Fognini. 2-1 in that one as well, but LaMonf only needs another four games to book his passage. As is the case every year, he came into the tournament limping, and as is the case every year, I reckon he’ll go far until Federer crosses his path (semis in 2008, quarters in 2009, Round of 16 in 2010).

8.32 pm: I’m glad Murray-Chela started early as they’ve been out there for 20 minutes already for only three games! Muzz has just broken however, so it’s 2-1 to the Scotsman.

8.20 pm: Fognini lives to fight another day! The Italian 7-5s over Monfils and the fans on Chatrier will have a fourth set. Murray meanwhile missed out on a break point in the opening game, and he’s just saved one of his own in his opening service game. Chela’s all power, Murray just outdid him with a drop. Deuce.

8.10 pm: The delectable Dane, darling of the crowds, Caroline Wozniacki is through, 3 and 1. She’ll face Alexandra Dulgheru in a few days time, and that will be one heck of a match-up as the Romanian is proving to be quite the clay-court bandita. To such an extent that she’s risen in the rankings to occupy the No.31 seeding.

Swiss action elsewhere, hidden on the outside courts. Chiudinelli has just started against Isner (1-1), while Stanislas the Manislas Wawrinka is two sets, 3-2 and a break up over Andreas Beck.

8.04 pm: Murray and Chela are warming up on No.1 court. They may not have time to finish but at least they can get under way. Tomorrow’s weather doesn’t look too promising, so any tennis we can get under way tonight is a bonus.

8 pm: No.15 seed Tomas Berdych is two sets up out on No.2 court against Edouard Roger-Vasselin. LaMonf and Foggy-Niner are at 4-4 in the third, No.3 seed Carrie Wozniacki leads a set and 3-1 over Tathi Garbin, while Marcel Granollers is about to serve for the first set against Marcos “adopted Parisian after training at the Mouratoglou academy where Aravane Rezai is currently based” Baghdatis.

7.57 pm: She’s through – 2009 winner Svetlana Kuznetsova breaks and wins, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 over Andrea Petkovic! The poor German had four match points at 5-4 in the second…

7.53 pm: Breakback mountain, starring Svetlana Kuznetsova and Andrea Petkovic! Sveta was serving for the match and Petty broke back! The 2009 winner may regret that… Petty to serve, 4-5.

Another one who can nourish some regrets, as they say in French, is the incredible Dulk. Gisela Dulko has been knocked out by Chanelle Scheepers. The South African will face Akgul Amanmuradova in the third, while Sveta takes on MaKiri, as we like to call Maria Kirilenko.

7.38 pm: 4-2 Sveter in the decider. Petter is berating herself as she waits for the reigning champion to serve. Monfils takes the second set 6-4, and Wozniacki is serving for the opener.
7.25 pm: 2-1 Sveta in the decida. 3-1 to Carrie Woza in the opena. And Monfils is a break up in the second and trying to break (again) and take (again) to make it 6-3. And Thiemo "in the same hotel as me" de Bakker has won and earned himself a round 3 berth against No.8 seed JWT.

7.16 pm: And there we go – Sveta breaks and takes the set 7-5. Petty, Petty, Petty – what happened? Are you my new Dinara? Tall, talented and with the nerves of a coconut?

Things have also gone horribly pear-shaped for Gisela, the incredible Dulk-o. She lead 6-3, 2-1, the rains came and since the return, she has lost the second 3-6 and we’ve had a break to open the third by Scheepers. Turnaround-tastic.

7.04 pm: Ay ay ay. Petkovic comes half-heartedly to the net and Sveta passes her with consummate ease. 5-5, which soon becomes 6-5. What can Petty do now? Carrie Wozniacki meanwhile, with her right ankle strapped up, saves an early break point.

7 pm: Nerves a-janglin’! Peppermint Petkovic has just carved out three match points and then erred unforcedly on all of them… A fourth makes it Ad Svet, but then now that the expectation has changed sides, she inside-outs and paints a corner. Deuce.

6.55 pm: And why is Caro Woz out on Lenglen? Because Rezai defeated Kerber, winning the decider 6-3. She'll face Nadia Petrova next up - No.15 .v. No.19 seed. Kuzi meanwhile has held, but Peppermint Petkovic is about to serve for the match.
6.50 pm: Monfils aces one wide into the deuce court for Ad, then Fognini obliges by longing the next one up. 6-2 and LaMonf has taken the opener. Garbin and Wozniacki are just coming out onto Lenglen, while Petkovic has just held to give herself an advantage to the tune of a set and 5-3! We lost the beaten 2009 finalist yesterday, and now the defending champ is four points from elimination.

6.33 pm: Petkovic, who has exchanged her Ana Ivanovic-esque clay-coloured dress for a Safina 2009 yellow one, has just strode (strided? stridden? strud? none of them looks right) to the net and whipped a forehand into the corner to break and take a 2-1 lead. What can Sveta do now?
6.26 pm: Rezai holds (2-2 in the third), Fognini breaks Monfils back (1-1 in the first) and De Bakker takes the tie-break with an ace (to lead 2-1).

6.23 pm: And away we go!
6.17 pm: Covers off, sun out. Any minute now...

5.52 pm: Sire, it bucket-eth less. In fact, it has stopped. There is furious moppage and sponge-age going on around the courts, and the sun is out. We’re aiming for a 6.10 pm re-start.

5.40 pm: To quote Shakespeare: “My liege, it bucket-eth down”. Pouring, I’m afraid. This at least gives raining (geddit?) champion Sveta Kuznetsova time to recompose herself. It also gives Andy Murray more time to rest up after his five-setter against Ritchie Gasquet two days ago (he’s due up against Saint John Ignatius of Chela once the weather improves).

5.17 pm: Still raining here I’m afraid, covers still on despite the fact that the sun is out. Talk amongst yourselves (as long as you do it via the comment facility). Thank goodness Robin and Jo-Wilfried won for the loss of seven games between them – that certainly helps us out order-of-play-wise. And the fact that we got a Sunday start in there always helps us get ahead of ourselves.

4.52 pm: La Monf had had the time to break before the rains came so leads Fognini 1-0.

4.49 pm: Noooooo! Or rather Neeeeee! De Bakker the Dutchie leads the tie-break against Garcia-Lopez 6-4, set point and then… the heavens open! Play suspended everywhere.

4.45 pm: Petkovic holds and takes the first set! Well played peppermint Petty! Maria Kirilenko meanwhile takes the opener from the soft-serving Yvonne Meusberger, while Gisela Dulko has done likewise over Chanelle Scheepers. Ooh, and Angelique Kerber has taken the 6-2 that Aravane Rezai inflicted on her about half and hour ago and sent it right back at her! We’ll have a third set there.

Ooh, rain-break. Kuzi and Petty are going back in. Monfils – Fognini has just started and they’re carrying on, Rezai and Kerber are off.

4.38 pm: Monfils is out on Chatrier to face Fabio Fognini, the latter wearing kit by the same manufacturer I happen to be sporting today (courtesy of the Rome tournament – I got free trousers, polo shirt, socks, shoes… the lot!)

Sveta meanwhile has upped her game – we knew she could break, but she’s also just held, to love. Poor Andi Pet – Serena at the last tourney, Sveta here. Hardly been spoilt by the draw of late. Sveta by the way is wearing the same colour top as me today – not afraid to rock the pink, me and Kuzi.

4.29 pm: Fed is through, at a canter after a relatively tough opener in which he had to break back to stay in the set and take it via a tie-break. He’ll likely face Julian Reister in the third round, who is rocking Rochus two sets to love at the moment.

Sveta meanwhile breaks one back. Andrea Peppertmint Petty-kovic came to the net twice – as is her wont – and got passed first up (to perfect, off the backhand by Sveta) and then sent a forehand waaaaaaaay long under pressure. And then Petty breaks right back up. Yeesh, Sveta (as one of her fans just tweeted - couldn't have said it better myself).

4.25 pm: Double break for Andrea Petkovic! To 15 this time around. Great backhand into the corner that she played like a particularly effective cricket shot, stepping into it and clouting it for a boundary (well, it would have been at cricket). Sveta was stuck in the middle (clowns to the left of her, jokers to the right…) of the baseline, powerless to react.

4.22 pm: Aravane takes the opener 6-2 but has been broken to open the second. Kerber is currently around her highest ever ranking, on the fringes of the top 60, and reached the third round of the Aus Open this year, defeating… ooh, Aravane on the way.

4.10 pm: Petkovic breaks Kuznetsova to open! The tall German took Serena to three in Rome but otherwise isn’t much of a clay fan. She’s 2-up here though and this is precisely the right time to be playing Sveta whose confidence is lower than Dinara Safina’s at the moment – and that’s saying something…

4.05 pm: Okey doke, play’s back on (after drizzle, dry, downpour we now have bright sunshine). Flavia Pennetta has 6-1d the opener in the Italian derby against Roberta Vinci, Fed leads 3-2 in the third (but that’s on service), Kuznetsova is serving to open against Petkovic, Thiemo de Bakker has broken to open the third and Aravane is serving for the first set.

3.15 pm: There’s enough blue to make a sailor a new suit, as someone’s grandmother used to say, and I think the covers will be off soon. We could be in for an off/on off/on afternoon though.

2.55 pm: More rain, covers back on. At least now I can eat my lunch in peace (see my @drewlilley twitter feed for a photo thereof).

2.53 pm: Mayer’s through, Cilic next up for him. Benneteau is sent home (but since he only lives a ten-minute walk away, it’s not so bad).

2.49 pm: Second set Fed, 6-2. That was more like it. Mayer is about to serve for the match against Benneteau (who is the last person to beat Fed in Paris – not on clay, note, but in Paris. At the Masters last November).

2.42 pm: Rezai – Kerber is about to start and Charlotte is text-commenting it here.

2.39 pm: Back out! The rain’s gone and the sun’s back out! So is Rog: 4-1 up.

2.10 pm: The covers are coming on Lenglen so we won’t have Rezai – Kerber (another “Turning point” match for which Charlotte is doing live commentary) for a while yet. And they’re coming off Chatrier as well, with Federer having just broken to lead 2-1. Yup, play suspended all round.

2.06 pm: Tsonga bangs down a few 200 km/h+ serves and finishes off with an ace – his ninth - defeating Ouanna 0, 1 and 4. Whoosh. He will face the winner of De Bakker and Garcia Lopez in the third round – Thiemo took the opener but GGL is about to serve for the second.

Aww, J-Dub signed his name on the TV camera when departing, as all Chatrier winners do, and he wrote “I love you Mom”. Awww. I love you too Mom, if you’re reading this (my Mom, not Jo-Wilfried’s).

2.02 pm: Robin Soderling, when asked whether it is tough to keep your focus when you’re busy bagelling your opponent (in this case Taylor Dent) repeatedly: “You know, I played so many matches so I know that everything can happen. Of course, you have to keep telling yourself that you have to stay focused because otherwise it can change pretty ‑ the match can turn pretty quick. But I think, you know, I did it all the way today. I was still very focused even to the end, and the last game when he played a little bit better, I was still ‑ I kept my focus good.”

1.58 pm: Rog takes the tie-break 7-4. He stepped up his game when he had to but this hasn’t been vintage Fed thus far.

1.56 pm: 4-4. Mini-break up, mini-break back.

1.54 pm: 3-3 at the changeover in the Chatrier tie-break.

1.50 pm: Breakback mountain, starring Roger Federer. To 15. 6-6, we’ll have a tie-break. It’s still in the balance though – ooh, especially as Falla is already a mini-break to the good, 2-0. Scratch that, 2-1.

1.47 pm: Break Falla! He’ll now serve for the set! Let’s not forget that if Nadal goes all the way here (premature, I know), then Fed needs to make at least the semis to conserve his No.1 ranking – that’ll teach him to keep losing prematurely at non-Slam tourneys on clay.

1.41 pm: Federer – Falla five-five. Fine forehands from… the Colombian (I ran out of F/words, if you’ll pardon the expression). Fed has just saved a break points as well. I might go and watch some of that whilst having a quick luncheon.

J-Dub meanwhile has already broken Ouanna in the third. Those two met on the hard courts on Marseille earlier this year, with Tsonga winning (though he had to go via a 20-point tie-break to do so).

1.34 pm: There’s something about Lenglen. After Soderling’s bagel, baguette, baguette, J-Dub Tsonga has bagel, baguetted Jo Ouanna. 33 games already, spread over five sets.

Cilic is through, 3, TB and 2. The No.10 seed will face the winner of Mayer and Benneteau, with the Argentinean a break up in the third.

1.30 pm: Wow, check out Dommie C! Bagelicious! Varvara Lepchenko serves up a double-fault (never a nice way to finish a match) and the incredible CiBulk(ova) is through. To face Venus next up. Nice comeback from Miss Cib.
1.21 pm: Fed – Falla, what’s the story? They met at Wimbledon in 2004 (the Colombian won three games) and here in 2006 (eight games). It’s 2-2 at the moment so Alejandro is on the way to improving his personal against-Fed best! They have both lost six matches so far this season (an inordinate amount for Fed). Rog in fact is a mere 6-3 on clay, losing to Montanes in Estoril, Nadal in the Madrid final and Gulbis in Rome.

1.15 pm: Dulgheru breaks, a newly long-haired, in fact pony-tailed Bacsinszky breaks right back, throwing herself into the match so much that she actually takes a tumble at one point. But she merely gets up, dusts off the clay and gets right back down to it.

J-Dub (Jo-Wilfried) bageled Ouanna in the first set, Cilic needed a tie-break but he’s now 2-0 up, Thiemo “same hotel as me” de Bakker has done the hold-break-hold three-step to get his tie with Guillermo Garcia Lopez under way, and a certain Roger Federer is now out on Chatrier. Ooh, and Alejandro Falla, his opponent, has a break point! Fed stares it down though – icily.

1 pm: Round the grounds. We had some Dulgheru – Bacsinszky chat down below in the comments. Alex Dulgheru has shot out of nowhere to defeat all and sundry over the past few weeks in Rome and Madrid. Bacsinszky meanwhile is battling with Patty Schnyder for the Swiss No.1 spot as the veteran lefty slowly slips down the rankings and l’il Timmie creeps her way up. Both are good players to watch, especially on clay, but as an adopted Swissie, my vote goes to Timea, who speaks French, German, English and Hungarian by the way.

12.53 pm: Jinxalicious, I am. Smiley bouncy little munchkin Dominika “the incredible” CiBulk(ova) breaks right back up. She made the semis here last year, did the smiling Slovak. Should they both get that far, we could have an Incredible Dulk – Incredible CiBulk quarter-final between Gisela and Dominika…

12.47 pm: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga also has a Dutch Davis Cup shirt on. He’s held to open his match against his mate Josselin Ouanna. So as with women’s draw, where we have Bartoli – Sanchez in the second round, there will definitely be at least one local hero in the third round.

And we will definitely have at least one Williams! Venus is through, again having come up against some testing opposition but getting through at a relative canter. 6-2, 6-4, job done – that’s what Venus does, she gets the job done and has done for 10 years+ now. She’ll face the winner of Lepchenko – Cibulkova which is now back on serve in the second after l’il Dommie C had broken. Lepchenko took the opener so we could have an all US third round tie there.

12.32 pm: Albert “move any” Montanes is two sets up and looks like he’ll be the one having to defy big bad Bobby Sod in the third round. Lucky him. Yup, you get seed on seed action in the third round here (Soderling is 5, Montanes 29).

Troicki also leads Carsten Ball by two sets to lurve. My surprises for the day were (un)surprisingly inaccurate!

12.21 pm: Benneteau bounced back and took the opener over Mayer in a tie-break. Youzhny – Lacko meanwhile has gone to a TB.

12.08 pm: Around the grounds. Albert “Man” Montanes leads a set and 3-1 over Toby “unheralded” Kamke. Akgul “6’3” Amanmuradova has tie-breaked it over Johana “Gary” Larsson in the opener, Victor “the other Serb after the Djoker” Troicki took the first from Carsten “the other Aussie after Lleyton” Ball, and Varvara “couldn’t find the B on my keyboard so I typed in Vs instead” has taken the opener from Dominika “the incredible CiBulk” Cibulkova.

I hope you were paying careful attention there – I’ll be asking questions later.

11.58 am: Venus takes the opener 6-2, Cilic 6-3s it over DGT, and Soderling has followed up his bagel with a baguette. 6-0, 6-1 over Taylor Dent. This could be the quickest “Turning points” match ever (including women’s matches!)

11.45 am: Marin Cilic is 4-2 up on Daniel Gimeno-Traver. The Chill-meister is No.10 seed but has never really had feet of clay, as ‘twere. He got to the fourth round here last year before losing to Murray, which was also his fate at the AO (Aus Open) this January. He and DGT are meeting for the first time. Speaking of whom, the Spaniard has never gone beyond the second round of a Slam tourney.

11.37 am: 6-0 Soderling. Dent took five points. Wow. And it’s already 2-0 in the second.

Elsewhere Venus has broken (the Lilley jinx strikes – I write about Parra Santonja, she gets broken) and Nadia Petrova, No.19 seed, leads Agnes Szavay 3-1. Nads is 9-3 on clay this year, having made the quarters at the WTA Premiers in Rome and Madrid. Agnes meanwhile won RG juniors here in 2005, and while she made it as high as No.13 in the world in 2008, she’s been on a downward spiral since, which is a shame as she’s brimming with talent.

11.33 am: Parra Santonja is more than holding her own. She took Venus to a dozen deuces in the No.2 seed’s first service game (I exaggerate only a tad) and is now battling at deuce on her own service. She’s 27 and has always flown under the radar on the circuit. She’s ranked No.59 which is seven slots below her highest ever position, achieved six years ago.

11.29 am: Good grief. Dent has yet to win a point. What do you call a bagel (6-0) when the other person fails to win a point? An atomic bagel? A hollow bagel? An utter bagel? Let me know if you have any suggestions.

11.26 am: Mayer breaks Benneteau. Jef who does the Spanish “As it happens” is delighted as he’s Argentinean. The Frenchies in the office are less so, particularly Guillaume who does the French “A.I.H.” as he lives right next door to Bennet’.

Bobby Sod meanwhile, as I like to call Robin Soderling, is 4-0 up on Taylor Dent already. Biiiig forehands from the Swede, who of course is the only person ever to beat Rafa here.

11.22 am: Arantxa Parra Santonja holds against Venus to open. These two have never met before, but the Spaniard is a bit of a clay-court bandita on the quiet. 15-8 is her record this year on red dirt, 168-110 lifetime (Venus is 13-2, 135-7. The two defeats this year were in the final of Madrid to Rezai and to Jankovic in Rome in the semis. 6-0, 6-1. Her worst defeat on the circuit. Ever).

11.15 am: We’ve got Taylor Dent versus Robin Soderling being “Turning pointed” right here by Charlotte so you can follow live commentary.

10.55 am: My lords, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to day four of the 2010 French Open! I’m Drew Lilley (so no change there) and we’re into the second round. After last night’s downpour, the weather has cooled down a lot so and it’s mighty cloudy, so it might be touch and go rain-wise – I’ll obviously keep you posted.

Any upsets on the cards today? Dementieva versus Medina Garrigues could be a shock, Dent could rattle Soderling, and I reckon Carsten Ball might give Victor Troicki a game. Send in your comments down below with any predictions, observations and potential shocks.

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm

May 27 - Rain curtailed

9.17 pm: Shahar Peer defeated Bethanie Mattek-Sands and the No.18 seed will play the winner of the French derby. And that’s your lot for the day – Henin leads 3-2 in the second but even on Chatrier, it’s too dark. Play over for the day.

9.12 pm: Sharapova – Flipkens is suspended at 2-2. Bartoli holds to make it 5-3, asks to come off, but play continues. She then breaks back to make it 4-5 and is again asking to call it a night. Yup, there we go, play is halted for the night in that one. Andujar - Bellucci has also been halted with the score 5-3 to the Brazilian (thought the Spaniard took the opener). Fish also took the second set tie-break 10-8 over No.14 seed Ljubicic before they gave best to the light in that one.

8.58 pm: Murray wins 6-2 in the fourth and will face Marcos Baghdatis in the third at some point over the weekend. Chela hit hard and hit true for the first two sets, but he couldn’t keep it up, and Murray was just too consistent for him. The Scotsman could do with getting his second service in more of a rhythm, but his first was rattling down at a good pace and won him plenty of points. That’s nine sets played over three days though – and he could strictly speaking have to play tomorrow, I’ve just been told. Will his wonky right knee hold up?

8.49 pm: Sanchez breaks, as Aravane sniggers in the players lounge (I made that bit up). Marion breaks back, and sends Aravane a text saying “nyerr nyerr nya nyerr nyerr” (I also made that bit up as well).

4-3 Henin, but she’s just fired down her third double fault of the tie.

8.40 pm: Chela finally holds after a game of 40 deuces (which is incidentally the name of my favourite tennis podcast). Murray then holds to love – 3-1 – and changes racquets. Such a waste – there’s barely half a set to go. I change racquets about once every five years…

8.34 pm: 3-1 Henin. Zakopalova is unforced-ing a touch too much at the moment. But you’ve got to force matters against JuJu, let’s be honest.

8.31 pm: Sharapova – Flipkens on No.2 court – we’re playing catch-up here big style! Masha has broken already to lead 2-1. Murray has got the measure of Chela, whose shots just aren’t working any more, and is trying for a double break at 0-2, deuce. Alona Bondarenko took the opener off Magdalena Rybarikova 6-3, and Ivan Ljubicic 6-2d the first against Mardy Fish. It’s absolutely tennis-tastic out there!

8.27 pm: Roddick makes it through, 6-2 in the fourth, and will face Gabashvili in the third round over the weekend. That’s the only men’s tie we’re sure of in the bottom half of the draw. It also means we’ll have time to start – at least – the French derby – Olivia Sanchez versus Aravane Rezai’s best friend (not) Marion Bartoli.

8.12 pm: Make way for Queen Justine! Here she comes, to play her second round match, on Chatrier, against Klara Zakopalova. Isner and Chiudinelli meanwhile could save us all some time by tossing a coin - it's 2-1 to the giant American, 3-7, 7-3, 9-7 (yup, three tie-breaks). 5-1 Andujar after another break - he's not hanging around...

8.08 pm: Fognini wins, 9-7 after pushing Monfils to deuce then pouncing. Well actually no, he merely waited for LaMonf to net a couple, which he obligingly did. All that fuss last night, and Monfils throws it away. He was two sets up… Credit to Fognini though, who has been having a lousy season but has made it through to the third round of a Slam (where he’ll face Stanislas Wawrinka).

8.01 pm: Pablo Andujar, who like De Bakker and Haase is at the same hotel as me, opens with a semi-bagel over Brazilian No.24 seed Bellucci. Aha, and Murray has broken back, and is in the process of holding in the crucial seventh game. He’s just sliced a beaut of a backhand drop at full stretch and followed up with a beaut of a service. 4-3 to the Muzz.

7.57 pm: Fognini – Monfils 7-7. Chela breaks Murray to lead 3-2 and Elena Dementieva takes the tie-break and the match. She’ll face Canada’s Aleks Wozniak in the third round at some point over the weekend.

7.49 pm: Fognini – Monfils 6-6. Chela – Murray 2-2. Tie-break between Elena and Anabel.

7.44 pm: Fognini holds - pressure on LaMonf. Roddick takes the third meanwhile.
7.41 pm: Fognini stares down a break point already. Hyooooge rallies. Roddick meanwhile will be serving for the third set in a second or two, while Medina Garrigues has battled back onto to service (but is about to serve to save the match).

7.33 pm: Plenty of matches cancelled for the day, but we’re going to try to get through what we can. And let’s start with the remaining two / four / six… matches of Monfils (wildly applauded by the crowd) and Fognini (roundly booed – home advantage for LaMonf and no mistake).

Elena is back out, wearing a black top and leggings that saw her eliminated by Ana Ivanovic in Rome – hopefully she’s not superstitious.

7.18 pm: Covers coming back off! And in other tennis news, my 10-year-old son Thibault got his "white ball" badge this morning. A future champion in the making (but I don't know if he's decided to play for France or Britain yet, when the respective Davis Cup captains come calling).
6.57 pm: Covers on everywhere. Chela and Murray are off, at 1-1, 1-1.

6.55 pm: Covers on Lenglen, with Roddick about to serve at 4-3.

6.50 pm: “You know, think it's gonna be a process and it's gonna take some time. No doubt I'm on the right way,” says Ana Ivanovic as she tries to crawl back up into the top 40. Fellow Serbian Jelena Jankovic has no such worries however – she has defeated Kaia Kanepi, 6-4 in the third set, and will face the winner of Bondarenko – Rybarikova next up.

Ooh, they’re covering Chatrier. It’s raining again… Play continues elsewhere however.

6.47 pm: Murray battles back from a double mini-break down, taking two from Chela, then loses the first point back on his own service to make it 4-6. He saves the first set point… then punts one wide next up!

6.43 pm: Baghdatis is through and will face the winner of Murray-Chela, which is 4-2 at the change-over in favour of the becapped Argentinean.

Rodionova is through, meanwhile, to face Jarmila Groth in the third round. So we will have an Aussie in the fourth round therefore! Aussie Aussie Aussie, oi oi oi!

6.40 pm: Murray – Chela is into a tie-break, and the Argentinean basher has just sliced a drop to mini-break up at 2-0. Elena meanwhile is serving to take the match and also for a post-break bagel (she was 0-3 down before the rains came).

6.33 pm: Rodionova serving to oust Vera Zvonareva. Seeds being cast to the four winds our here… Not JJ though – she’s just pushed KK back, back, back then reeled her in with a deft drop. On break point, to boot. 3-2 Jankovic with service to follow.

6.30 pm: Shvedova has indeed ousted Radwanska. The No.8 seed is uprooted and cast to the wind. Roddick has broken to open the third, while Elena Dementieva is now totally into her stride, all flowing forehands and decent serves, which is not something one usually associates with the top-ranked Russian.

6.23 pm: Elena Dementieva has also made the most of the break, coming back out and breaking back within the minutes. She’s now only 3-2 down in the second, but Anabel Medina Garrigues is still a break to the good.

6.18 pm: Lawks! Roddick’s been caught cold – Kavcic comes out and hold-breaks to take the second set!

6.15 pm: We’re back under way again. Baghdatis is starting a fourth set, only needing one more to book a third round berth. Murray had held so it’s 4-4 in the second set on No.1.

6.01 pm: Players are being called back on court!

5.48 pm: The rain has stopped and the squeedgees (those mop-type affairs) are out. Fingers crossed we’ll be up and running again soon.

5.36 pm: Rain facts. In 1973, the weather was that lousy that the men’s final couldn’t be played until the Tuesday of the third week (Ilie Nastase defeated Nikki Pilic). Of course, those were the days of no Sunday Start (a 2007 invention) so we’re already ahead of ourselves. And in any case, the weather forecasts are far more positive for the rest of the tournament, so we’ve nothing to worry about.

Right, we have JJ .v KK at 1-1 in the decider, Rodd-ick .v. Kavc-ic at 5-5 in the second, 3-0 to Medina Garrigues after Dementieva took the opener, Yaroslava Shvedova a mere four points away from ousting the No.8 seed Agnieszka Radwanska, yet another Aussie Rodionova about to serve at 6-4, 4-3 over No.21 seed Vera Zvonareva and Gabashvili a mere three games away from defeating Kavcic’s fellow Slovene Zemlja. That’s you guys up to date.

5.21 pm: OK, it’s eased off a little already but the rain is still coming down. I’ll let you know how things pan out.
5.15 pm: And we’re back off – it’s bucketing down!

5.10 pm: Kanepi takes the second 6-3! Jankovic holds to open the decider and then carves out break points which she can't take! Murray is out on court against Chela, but there are unfortunately a few spots of rain in the air.

Jarmila Groth meanwhile has won her way through to the third round where she will face the winner of Rodionova/Zvonareva. Farewell Kimiko Date Krumm – you were the talk of the town for the past two days after defeating Dinara Safina.

4.52 pm: Kleybanova has defeated Ivanovic, 6-3, 6-0! The 2008 champion’s woes continue. Kleybs will face the winner of Shvedova – Radwanksa in the third round some time this weekend.

4.49 pm: Kanepi is holding Jankovic at 3-3 in the second set, while in a much tighter match, Dementieva leads Medina 5-2 after a deuced-up contest. Aleks Wozniak has taken the opener 6-4 over No.32 seed Katy Bondarenko, while A-Rod has broken back to make it 3-3 in the second.

4.34 pm: Mixed news on Aussie Aussie Aussie front. Jarmila “rapid” Groth leads 6-0, 3-2 over Kimiki “older than me” Date Krumm, but Sophie Ferguson lost the opener 6-2 to Frantic Frannie Schiavone.

4.30 pm: Dementieva leads 4-1. That’s quite a turnaround. Kleybs has also taken the opener 6-3 and broken-held to lead 2-0 in the second. Are we about to lose the 2008 champion Ana? Eww, we are if she keeps serving up double faults. Her sixth helps to make it 3-0 Kleybs.

4.23 pm: JJ takes the opener 6-2. Majestic. I like Jankovic on clay, I really do. A-Rod meanwhile has done the hold-break-hold three-step to close out the first set 6-3. Both he and his unheralded Slovenian opponent Blaz Kavcic are rocking the “cap dripping with sweat” look.

4.18 pm: Dementieva breaks right back and holds for good measure. She and Anabel Medina Garrigues has met four times over the past six years, with the Russian holding a 3-1 advantage. Elegant Elena obviously made it to the final here, in the first all-Russian final, where she lost to Anastasia “retired pretty much straight after” Myskina. And there was of course last year’s final, when Sveta beat Dinara.

4.13 pm: Turnaround-tastic. No.28 seed Alisa “Kleybs” Kleybanova has gone from 0-2 to 4-2 against Ms Ivanovic. Kleybs beat Ana in the Fed Cup earlier this year and at the Aus Open last year.

Ana was world No.1 102 weeks ago after winning the 2008 tournament here, but since then she has gone 45-32 and plummeted down the rankings (with four of those wins coming in Rome earlier this month, otherwise the record would have looked a lot worse).

3.59 pm: JJ is 4-0 up, making up for lost time. We won’t finish the second round today but the Serb is doing her best to help us out in terms of scheduling. Ana leads 2-1 with a break, A-Rod broke but has been broken back and ooh, Anabel Medina Garrigues has broken via a deuce or two to open against elegant Elena Dementieva, No.5 seed and top-ranked Russian, what with last year’s finalists Kuznetsova and Safina trying to outdo each other in terms of lack of form and confidence.
3.50 pm: Roddick holds to open against Kavcic, who was just ahead of Kanepi in ranking terms (112) and crept in via direct acceptance. He got through to the second round after his Argentine opponent Eduardo Schwank retired with heatstroke on Tuesday, while A-Rod was taken to five sets by Jarkko Nieminnen. This is the second game in a row that the American is playing an opponent for the first time. And he has held comfortably to open.

3.45 pm: The last match on each court has already been cancelled for the day, so we’ll have some catching up to do tomorrow. Apparently the weather’s going to be fine now until Sunday. Kanepi serves to open – this time last year she was No.18 in the world, now she’s 100 slots below, exactly. She had to qualify to get here, but she made the quarters at the 2008 tournament, so despite current lack of form, she’s (a) on a four-match unbeaten run here over the past week and (b) a dangerous floater.

3.37 pm: Tennis! Here come Kanepi and Jankovic! JJ, the No.4 seed, is sporting a fetching yellow shorty raincoat – she’s come prepared! Roddick's out and waiting for Kavcic, while Ana Ivanovic and Alisa Kleybanova is also about to get under way - a match you can follow on our "Turning points" application here.

3.20 pm: Covers coming off! Hurrah!

3.03 pm: Still drizzling. No play before 3.30 pm. Sigh…

2.55 pm: Rain has eased off but covers still on as more rain is threatening. What did I mean by “first-to-two” between Monfils and Fognini? It’s 5-5 in the final set, so whoever gets two games clear has won! I almost said “best of three” but obviously 7-6 doesn’t work in the final set of a European Slam where you don’t have tie-breaks.

2.30 pm: Can Fognini knock Monfils out, I’m asked down below? Yup! It’s a first-to-two match, and anything could happen. Fabio has to serve first though – nerves?

And what about Kanepi – Jankovic? Kaia’s a belter of the ball but I’m banking on JJ to have the necessary finesse and clay-court nous to get her through.

2 pm: Barely spotting out there but it’s likely to bucket down again at any moment (the 2 pm shower they predicted) so no movement til 2.30 at the earliest, I’m afraid.

1.30 pm: Weather’s got worse, I’m afraid. I’m hoping that this is the 2 pm shower that has come early. I went for lunch at about 12.45 and it was barely drizzling then, but the rain has redoubled its efforts since then.

12.30 pm: Nothing til 1 pm apparently. In the meantime, go on The Great Debate and tell us which your favourite rivalries were. Borg – Connors/Mac/everyone for me in the men’s, and I think it was a crying shame that Graf – Seles was cut short in its prime.

11.30 am: Covers still on. Apparently the weather forecast is for showers at 11 am and 2 pm, so hopefully we can squeeze something in in the mean time (and then of course get plenty from about 3 pm onwards).

11 am: Bad news. I did say “weather-permitting” and the weather is not permitting. What was a slight drizzle as I walked over to the press area is now a full-on shower, and the covers are back on.

10.45 am: Morning one and all, and welcome to day five of the 2010 French Open! I’m Drew Lilley (they haven’t got rid of me yet) and today, we’re going to try to finish the second round, weather permitting. We had another downpour last night, but the weather is similar to yesterday, so it could well be touch and go once again in terms of the rain.

Jelena Jankovic starts us off on Chatrier, then we have the last few (?) games of Monfils – Fognini followed by Justine Henin, Fernando Verdasco and Rafael Nadal! Roddick, Bartoli, Djokovic and Serena are on Lenglen, while it’s Ivanovic, half a Murray-Chela (or maybe more), Melzer, Sharapova, Gonzalez on No.1, or the bull-ring as the American journalists like to call it. Not to mention Dementieva, Ferrero, Stosur and Hewitt on No.2. Action-packed, and no mistake!

Let me know who you think are potential upsets today, and of course any other comments – it’s going to be a long day and I’ll need some company!

Ankur
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Ankur » Thu May 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Did anybody see what Venus was wearing ..... it was a nighty for godsake, respect the audience even if you dont respect the sport.

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 pm

lol

Thank god I didn't see it. But now I want to see it. Damn it!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri May 28, 2010 9:30 am

I am not following the French Open.
Ever since Andy Murray became a force in tennis, I have lost interest in the game.
I know he is Scottish but still...

I am expecting him to sweep every Grand Slam in the next 15 years but just in case he loses at the French now, can somebody let me know here ? Thanks.

Roy
Banned
Banned

Postby Roy » Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 am

raja wrote:I am not following the French Open.
Ever since Andy Murray became a force in tennis, I have lost interest in the game.
I know he is Scottish but still...

I am expecting him to sweep every Grand Slam in the next 15 years but just in case he loses at the French now, can somebody let me know here ? Thanks.

+1

I used to like Tennis, but these days I find it terminally boring
Andy Murray is the most boring of the lot

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Fri May 28, 2010 11:08 am

Rafa v Fed is still one of the best rivalries in sport.

Btw Murray will not be a force in the French Open. He is more of a grass/hard court player.

Soderling is playing really well though!

Roy
Banned
Banned

Postby Roy » Fri May 28, 2010 11:16 am

bharathh wrote:Rafa v Fed is still one of the best rivalries in sport.

Btw Murray will not be a force in the French Open. He is more of a grass/hard court player.

Soderling is playing really well though!

only i think Rafa knees may be f****d

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Fri May 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Doesnt seem to be stopping him from winning games on clay though. He recently beat Fed in Madrid. Clay is easier to play on for ppl with knee problems.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon May 31, 2010 10:30 am

I think I may follow the rest of the tournament, now that we only have proper players left in it.
I don't know the names of half the guys but the imp thing is that a name I know is not in the draw anymore. :-)

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:58 am

Wow!

Soderling beat Fed today!

First time in a looooong time that Fed has not made a semi-final of a grand slam! Federer made 23 semis in a row before today

Amazing from Soderling. Noone beats Soderling 20 times in a row :grin:

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:59 am

Big Upsets of French Open 2010 involving Roger Federer, Francesca Schiavone, Venus Williams, Andy Roddick matches
June 01, 2010 03:50 PM EDT (Updated: June 01, 2010 04:58 PM EDT)
views: 1086
MEN'S DRAW

Number one seeded Roger Federer fell to Robin Soderling (5) in four sets in the quarterfinals of the 2010 French Open 3-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-4. Federer made it at least to the semifinals in the last 23 major events. The last time he didn't make it to the semifinals of a grand slam was back in the French Open in 2004.

Tomas Berdych (15) had two upsets. The Czech defeated Russian Mikhail Youzhny (11) to advance to the semis. He pummeled Youzhny in straight sets: 3, 1, and 2. Youzhny had a mini upset of his own against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (8) of France the round before.

Berdych also defeated Great Britain hopeful Andy Murray (4) lost in the fourth round.

Top seeded American Andy Roddick (6) had a very disappointing defeat in the third round of the tournament. He had an embarrassing straight set lost to the #114 ranked player in the world, Teimuraz Gabashvili.

WOMEN'S DRAW

Francesca Schiavone became the first Italian player to make it to the semifinals of a grand slam in the Open era (1968). The #17 seed defeated Caroline Wozniacki (3) to advance to the semifinals. She will face Russian Elena Dementieva (5).

Technically not an upset - but definitely a disappointing defeat in my book - Samantha Stosur (7) defeated four time champ Justine Henin (22). Henin would have faced Serena Williams in the quarters for an epic match-up against two great players.

Nadia Petrova had a crushing defeat against Venus Williams (2) in the fourth round. Venus went down 6-4, 6-3. This tournament, Venus got more attention from her racy outfit than her athletic performance.

Defending champion Svetlana Kuznetsova (6) saw her end in the third round at the racket of Maria Kirilenko (30). The Russians had a tough three setter and Kirilenko lost in the next round to semifinalist Schiavone.

Justine Henin (22), also in the third round, defeated Maria Sharapova (12)...but anyone could see that coming!

The earliest upset came to Dinara Safina (9) of Russia in the first round. She had an awful defeat against #72 in the world, Kimiko Date Krumm of Japan.

Also in the first round, Victoria Azarenka (10) was crushed by Gisela Dulko of Argentina 6-1, 6-2.

Serena Williams and Rafael Nadal will have to play some terrible matches to mess up their chances of winning this title. Their brackets are pretty much wide open.

For Serena, Jelena Jankovic (4) and Elena Dementieva (5) are potential opponents but they are no match for Serena if she is playing her best.

Likewise, it will be hard for anyone to take down Rafael Nadal (who has lost once in the last five years at this tournament). It just so happens the player he lost to is still left in the tournament. But Robin Soderling still has to beat a tough Tomas Berdych to face him in the finals.

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Another World #1 bites the dust. This time Serena is beaten in 3 sets by Sam Stosur in the quarters.

Ankur
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Ankur » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Stosur looks good now to win the whole thing?

gabbadan
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby gabbadan » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Ankur wrote:Stosur looks good now to win the whole thing?

I hope Sam keeps going but she still tends to choke at the business end. Fingers crossed this time.

Roy
Banned
Banned

Postby Roy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:23 am

gabbadan wrote:
Ankur wrote:Stosur looks good now to win the whole thing?

I hope Sam keeps going but she still tends to choke at the business end. Fingers crossed this time.

this

probably one of the most talented players on the tour, but mental fortitude is often in question

she was thrashing Williams and almost lost it due to this