Australian Open 2014

Discuss topics related to other sports here.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

Australian Open 2014

Postby raja » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Federer beats Murray 6-3, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3 to reach the Australian Open semis. :grin:

Asim
CF Champion
CF Champion

Re: Australian Open 2014

Postby Asim » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:19 pm

raja wrote:Federer beats Murray 6-3, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3 to reach the Australian Open semis. :grin:

He still has some life left in him, happy for him. I hope he wins it too.
It is not often u com across a quality individual who lives n breathes loyalty 2 his country n teammates.His individual contribution has been outstanding despite continuing unwarranted n unfair criticism that he gets from both media n public–Dav on Misbah

Ankur
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Ankur » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:29 pm

LOng time ...

Now Playing:
    If I hold a gun to your head for Tests next year ...
    If I hold a gun to your head for entire next year

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:04 am

raja wrote:Federer beats Murray 6-3, 6-4, 6-7, 6-3 to reach the Australian Open semis. :grin:

:cool:

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:10 am

Federer v Nadal semi is in fact the Final; Hoe Federer wins
Go to Live Games Forum to take part in "I hold a gun to your head" Games.

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:13 am

Federer has a legit shot of beating Nadal this year. The courts are faster and the bounce is lower which always suits Roger. His demolition of Tsonga and Murray means his confidence is sky high.
SR of 43 v SR of 54. Ha Ha Ha. Enough said!

Synergy
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Synergy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:35 am

Don't think anyone could have beat Nadal in that semi, not even Fed in his prime.

Nadal probably is going to end up with more slams and the title of GOAT.

VijayArumugam
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby VijayArumugam » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:14 am

Federer has to acknowledge the fact that Nadal has got the game to beat him more often than not. He'd love to overcome this, but he doesn't have the game to do it.

Federer is not a humble person like Sachin Tendulkar. He's a bit headstrong (I'm fine with that, with his greatness), but he doesn't give enough credit to the opponents when he loses. He's a bit of a sore loser.

He showed his lack of class again by whining about Nadal's grunt and time-wasting. He lacks the usual class associated with his country, Switzerland.

PS: Even if Federer doesn't win another grand slam, he'd probably go down as arguably the greatest player of all-time, since he had a bit more grace and elegance than Sampras and Laver. But he needs a bit of lessons in being humble and not being so arrogant.

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:22 am

As a die hard Federer fan who follows him all over the ATP tour, not just slams, I totally agree with you. Defeats don't go down well with him. Check his press conferences after every defeat, there would be limited praise for the opposition. Love him more than any other athlete but I wish he was a bit more humble.

Synergy
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Synergy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:39 am

On the topic of greatness, a mate of mine, who incidentally is a Nadal fan, mentioned something interesting that I hadn't really thought too much about before. He said that in Federer early days, when he got his first few slams, the competition wasn't as intense as it is now. On the other hand Nadal for each of his slam has had to get through Federer, Djokovic and to a lesser extent Murray nowadays.

I am a Federer fan but have to say if Nadal can get more slams than him, it would be hard to argue that Federer is the GOAT. Federer style is more pleasing on the eye while Nadal's style is a bit more unique. That probably shouldn't count in greatest of all time discussions though.

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:45 am

In Federer's early slam winning days, he had Hewitt, Safin, Roddick and Nalbandian as his main competition. When Nadal won his first Slam, Federer had 4 slams. Now Nadal has 13(14tomorrow) and Federer has 17 which means Federer has won equal no. of slams since Nadal's first.

But it is never about the no.of slams. Look at the 57 Grand Slam streak, 23 consecutive semi finals, 302 weeks at no.1, 36 slams with a Q/F or better. Those are the reasons and not 17 slams that I believe Roger is the greatest of all time.

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:57 pm

How can Federer be classed the best when Nadal has been so dominate against him for soo long.
Go to Live Games Forum to take part in "I hold a gun to your head" Games.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 pm

burgscud wrote:In Federer's early slam winning days, he had Hewitt, Safin, Roddick and Nalbandian as his main competition. When Nadal won his first Slam, Federer had 4 slams. Now Nadal has 13(14tomorrow) and Federer has 17 which means Federer has won equal no. of slams since Nadal's first.

But it is never about the no.of slams. Look at the 57 Grand Slam streak, 23 consecutive semi finals, 302 weeks at no.1, 36 slams with a Q/F or better. Those are the reasons and not 17 slams that I believe Roger is the greatest of all time.

Rod Laver was the greatest of all time in his era he was head and shoulders above the field and won two grand slams despite a two year break as a professional.

Agassi Federer McEnroe and Borg have not only modeled their style on Laver's groundbreaking topspin/kick serve mode of play they have all admitted to Laver being their hero growing up.

Especially Federer who was trained by Peter Carter an Aussie coach in his youth.

Even in his pro days he was the best defeating Rosewall Pancho Gonzalez Sedgeman Kramer etc.

He played Jimmy Connors well after he retired in an exhibition match at Caesar's palace and even though he was beaten by a top of his game Connors he according to Jack Kramer who was commentating stated Laver showed he was the best ever.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:22 am

Verity wrote:How can Federer be classed the best when Nadal has been so dominate against him for soo long.

Federer has been past his best for years, on top of that the courts and balls have been slowed down to aid the dirtballers in all grand slams
Nadal is also suspected of doing roids

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 am

In my 23 years as a Tennis fan, the courts are by far the slowest these days. Just park your ass on the baseline and play 30 shot rallies. That's what they want. Longer matches, more T.V revenue. Nadal and Djokovic cannot ask for better courts. In the much faster courts of 90s, they won't win any slams, except Nadal winnning the Roland Garros. Federer on the other hand, would excel in any era and he would do it clean!

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:35 am

I never thought I'll be tearing up for Nadal. What a disappointment! His body let him down at the worst time possible. Even at less than 50 percent, he won a set. You could see how disappointed he was. Such an awkward final. Rafa's health lets him down again. Don't know what to say, sports is cruel sometimes.

Congrats to Stan Wawrinka for winning his first grand slam and securing world no.3

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:38 am

and a big f**k YOU to the Melbourne crowd for booing Rafa! Classless people. The guy could not stand on his two feet and they boo him? Nadal is the last person on the tour you boo.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 pm

2 time Chennai Open winner Wawrinka wins his 1st Grand Slam.

Congrats !

Stan is a regular at the ATP tournament in India played at Chennai every year just before the Australian Open.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:54 pm

I prefer Federer / Djokovic to Nadal.

Nadal's game is one dimensional.

VijayArumugam
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby VijayArumugam » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Verity wrote:How can Federer be classed the best when Nadal has been so dominate against him for soo long.

[/quote]

It's a bit like saying Kallis averaged more than Sachin and Lara and hence he's better than them!
Last edited by VijayArumugam on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VijayArumugam
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby VijayArumugam » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 pm

burgscud wrote:In my 23 years as a Tennis fan, the courts are by far the slowest these days. Just park your ass on the baseline and play 30 shot rallies. That's what they want. Longer matches, more T.V revenue. Nadal and Djokovic cannot ask for better courts. In the much faster courts of 90s, they won't win any slams, except Nadal winnning the Roland Garros. Federer on the other hand, would excel in any era and he would do it clean!

If the courts were as fast as they were in the '90s, the likes of Del Porto, Berdych and Tsonga won't stand a chance.

On the other hand, for the hypothetical argument, if the courts were as fast in Wimbledon as they were in the '90s, Sampras would have beaten Federer on the faster grass more often than not (Sampras 1999 vs. Federer 2005), though I'd consider Federer a better player than Sampras. Would Federer have an answer to that walk-on-the-water stuff that Sampras produced in the finals of the 1999 Wimbledon finals? I'm not so sure.

Perhaps on a faster grass court, Roddick might have beaten Federer at least for one win at the Championships!

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:26 pm

I think Boris Becker will win against Goran Ivenesochichichichck.. whatever that last name is... and take the trophy home.. In the womens I fancy Monica Seles will beat Steffi grass..wait gralf.. wait grasph.. no.. graph.. oh whatever.. and win..

I wonder if she still snorts while serving.

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:08 am

VijayArumugam wrote:
If the courts were as fast as they were in the '90s, the likes of Del Porto, Berdych and Tsonga won't stand a chance.

On the other hand, for the hypothetical argument, if the courts were as fast in Wimbledon as they were in the '90s, Sampras would have beaten Federer on the faster grass more often than not (Sampras 1999 vs. Federer 2005), though I'd consider Federer a better player than Sampras. Would Federer have an answer to that walk-on-the-water stuff that Sampras produced in the finals of the 1999 Wimbledon finals? I'm not so sure.

Perhaps on a faster grass court, Roddick might have beaten Federer at least for one win at the Championships!

Nobody is beating Sampras on the 90s grass court. Federer will win one for sure, but not many. To Roger's credit he has won a Wimbledon when the grass used to be faster i.e in 2003. In 2004 they changed grass and it has been slower ever since.

Roddick's game was more suited to the faster grass. In 2009 he should have won though.

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:14 am

Davydenko has a better head to head record against Nadal. They don't tell the whole story. Although one thing is sure, NADAL IS THE WORST MATCHUP FOR ROGER! He is like that lefty fast bowler, a batsman can't do a thing about.

scud
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby scud » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:20 am

Tennis in 5 years!!!

The future of the game does not appear that promising in 5 years. Dimitrov is the only young guy with a complete game and he will definitely win a couple of Grand Slams. Ranoic, the big serving Canuck, might win one but his return game is below average and he has not made any strides in that area. Besides these two, there are some young americans and australians who look promising but it is way too early to make a call on them.

A lot of great players will be done or nearly done in 5 years. Federer will be gone, Nadal will be 33 and most certainly gone. Djokovic and Murray will be 32 and on their last legs. Tsonga, Wawrinka, Berdych are gonna be 34 and retired. Del Potro will be 30 and probably the no.1 then enjoying his last years on the tour.

I don't think we will ever see another 10 slam winner in a long long time once this current generation hangs it up in 5 years or so.