Cricket vs Baseball

Discuss topics related to other sports here.
SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
Cash on hand: Locked
United States of America

Re: Cricket vs Baseball

Postby SuperGLS » Thu May 20, 2010 2:57 am

Another report on Oram and Vettori at the baseball game (apparently the Sri Lankan team went to the game as well).

The Buzz on Cricinfo wrote:Jacob Oram once joked that he would consider cutting off his badly broken left ring finger to ensure he was fit for the 2007 World Cup. Three years on, and after another tournament in the Caribbean, Oram and his team-mates stopped by to visit the Florida Marlins baseball team while in town for their T20s against Sri Lanka.

“That's just crazy,” the second-baseman Dan Uggla said at the thought of playing an entire game without a glove. His shortstop colleague Hanley Ramirez had some advice: “They were telling me how they break fingers and hands all the time. I told them, ‘Maybe in the future you should think about wearing gloves’.”

The Miami Herald reported that several of the New Zealanders “shagged flies” in the outfield, which we’re assured is a baseball term and not a variant on the New Zealand-Australia “sheep-shagging” banter.

Ramirez strapped on some cricket pads and had a hit, though was confused at where to run, while Oram made the pitcher Josh Johnson lick his lips with the concept that: “Sometimes in cricket, you try to hit the batsmen to unsettle them.”

Oram has picked Johnson in a fantasy baseball team in the past; perhaps after this visit Johnson might return the favour.

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/thebuzz/archi ... _crazy.php

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Thu May 20, 2010 5:01 am

chicken lips wrote:Different skills, not lesser.

Geoffrey, sorry pal you are just comming across as a bit of a redneck with all this talk of baseballers not being as brave as cricketers, you seem to have a really anti american streak in you, is that correct?

Lesser skills, inferior skills, subjacent skills- whatever term you want this is exactly what I am saying.

And no not anti-American just anti ignorance (though some would argue they go hand in hand up the aisle)

We play baseball in school in Australia, and some of us (like myself) beyond that. I've never met an American that played cricket let alone watched more than a few hours of it.. and yet every Yank seems to have an opinion still based on a 5 second viewing on ESPN!

I've had this argument many times of the years mainly against people that knew less about cricket than I know about the real estate trends in Timbuctu.

Maybe I am a full blooded red neck mate don't see what that has to do with the argument unless you are going for an ad hominem thing- remember it is the last resort of the witless.

If you got the best batters around in MLB and put them in a cricket net against Blacktown 4th grade they would all struggle.

This is fact. And that is my point.

BASEBALL- Batting skills= inferior. Using mits= inferior. Throwing and running? Superior, no argument.

So to a cricketer who has played both sports baseball is a running and throwing game, and cricket is a true bat and ball game.

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Thu May 20, 2010 5:06 am

SuperGLS wrote:I have to say, I don't think there should be any fear at the highest levels. If people are scared in either sport and can't concentrate on their batting because they are scared I'm sure they would never make it to the highest levels. What's there to be scared about? A cricketer has enough pads on to protect from 90% of the possible harm. A batter has much less protection, but aren't targeted as much.

You think so?

Safe like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R9RtlYu3xE

chicken lips
CF Debutant

Postby chicken lips » Thu May 20, 2010 11:30 am

I think you and I are just going to have to disagree about the bravery needed to play either sport Geoffrey, 1 last question though.

If the bouncer is so much more dangerous and harder to play than those easy pick up full toss balls, why is the above waste full toss an illegal delivery?

So nasty and unsporting that if you bowl more than 2 you are removed for the innings.

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Thu May 20, 2010 11:36 am

chicken lips wrote:I think you and I are just going to have to disagree about the bravery needed to play either sport Geoffrey, 1 last question though.

If the bouncer is so much more dangerous and harder to play than those easy pick up full toss balls, why is the above waste full toss an illegal delivery?

So nasty and unsporting that if you bowl more than 2 you are removed for the innings.

Mate that was as weak as piss. You sound like an Aussie.

Beamers are outlawed because most batsman have 100% of their attention on trying to pick up the length of the ball off the pitch.

I suppose it would be a bit like a pitcher bouncing the ball off the turf towards a batters face- totally unexpected trajectory and therefore quite dangerous.

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Thu May 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Silence is Golden...

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked
Isle of Man

Postby Leo » Fri May 21, 2010 3:32 pm

I think Cricketers will win the both.

VFE
Banned
Banned

Postby VFE » Fri May 21, 2010 4:48 pm

gabbadan wrote:VFE would look better in that instead of his crappy blurred image.

My avatar is Bell.

Though I grant you then classy shot could be one of Vaughans.

gabbadan
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby gabbadan » Fri May 21, 2010 11:54 pm

You missed a good topic.

Guess who this is pics?

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Tue May 25, 2010 2:58 am

Anyone care to comment on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-E5Yo2_ag

How does everyone reckon he went?

gabbadan
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby gabbadan » Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 am

Geoffrey wrote:Anyone care to comment on this?

Have a look at the other videos on the page. Very interesting.

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Tue May 25, 2010 10:51 am

gabbadan wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Anyone care to comment on this?

Have a look at the other videos on the page. Very interesting.

How do you reckon he went though?

gabbadan
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby gabbadan » Tue May 25, 2010 11:46 am

He had the latent skill but not the technique. Not too bad given that Bolly would have knocked his head off.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 pm

There's a couple interviews with the NZ players from last week about their tour to the US and baseball. Here's one. After it's over the related videos should pop up.

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Wed May 26, 2010 2:02 am

SuperGLS wrote:There's a couple interviews with the NZ players from last week about their tour to the US and baseball. Here's one. After it's over the related videos should pop up.

How do you reckon Manny went Super GLS?

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 am

I only reckon that he was there for about 25 minutes hitting a few balls, signing a few autographs, chatting with the camera and then he was back in his mansion. After all, this was just a promo spot for IPL and DirecTV.

One thing is for sure, Manny would probably be a poor fielder (not much of a fielder in baseball, no real speed in the outfield, not a lot of range, etc). I'm sure he'd be a good batsmen though.

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Wed May 26, 2010 2:50 am

SuperGLS wrote:I only reckon that he was there for about 25 minutes hitting a few balls, signing a few autographs, chatting with the camera and then he was back in his mansion. After all, this was just a promo spot for IPL and DirecTV.

One thing is for sure, Manny would probably be a poor fielder (not much of a fielder in baseball, no real speed in the outfield, not a lot of range, etc). I'm sure he'd be a good batsmen though.

I'm not so sure. Based on that muck around (and a few years cricket coaching) here is what I see..

Bottom hand dominant- the ball moving away from the bat on a length or just a straight yorker is hard for these type of batsman to deal with- at any pace.
Footwork- Front foot always going away to the leg side to make room for the bat to come through. Huge gap between bat and pat even a little medium paced off cutter would go straight through (which did actually happen- at my Dad's pace)

He would need to stand a foot outside leg and just pray that the ball didn't either move from the straight, wasn't pitched up too far (or too short) and came at the right angle (ie left handers and bowling round the wicket would be like him trying to read an obscure Chinese dialect.

I just think these blokes are so used to hitting the ball from a certain spot back to a certain arc that the footwork and just body positioning would ensure their failure in cricket.

Too many variables and too much complicated footwork in cricket. Baseball is all about eye. Cricket isn't.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Wed May 26, 2010 3:15 am

Well, you might be right, I'm no cricket coach.

The amount of movement on a baseball in the air can be a bit more dramatic than the swing of a cricket ball. I wonder how batsmen would cope with that in combination with a round bat?

Ian Chappell was talking about how he in 1994 was in Chicago and went to a local park to try to find a game of softball and was interested to find himself in a game of no glove softball and the guys afterwards told him "you surprised us at how good you were at fielding the ball" while having a beer. Of course they didn't know who he was or that he was a cricketer. Funny stuff.

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Wed May 26, 2010 6:19 am

SuperGLS wrote:Well, you might be right, I'm no cricket coach.

The amount of movement on a baseball in the air can be a bit more dramatic than the swing of a cricket ball. I wonder how batsmen would cope with that in combination with a round bat.

Mate not even sure I agree with you on this one. In baseball that I've seen the curve ball seems to start curving very early- what cricketers call "banana swing"

The combination of delivery and hitting the pitch can cause a cricket ball to change course almost at the end of it's trajectory.. so you can see the ball swinging like a banana one way and then pitch and seam the other way, I'd say that's rather more dramatic than anything a baseball can do.

Furthermore a cricketer would be happy in that there is 3 chances for the ball to pass through an imaginary strike zone as opposed to one chance of a physical one made of wood.

I'm not belittling the art of hitting a baseball. Cricketers at the top level however train hitting the ball in the same (best) part of the bat for maximium result with minimum risk. And we hit every single ball (or try to) that comes near that physical strike zone. Over and over and well you get the idea.

I can think of a few cricketers with strong bottom hands that would absolutely belt a baseball anywhere. Someone like Gilchrist comes to mind.

My point is that baseball vs cricket only the throwing (incl pitching which is throwing) and the batters running and stealing bases etc is superior to cricket.

The rest is below the skill level required to flourish in any level of cricket.

PS: I bowled against a NSW baseball rep once. He hit me for two sixes off a length on off stump- one was amazing the top hand was even off the bat- never seen that happen before. So all I did was come round the wicket, bowled the outswinger and after 2 air swings chopped onto his stumps. Called me an "f'n cheat' for going around the wicket and walked off.

VFE
Banned
Banned

Postby VFE » Thu May 27, 2010 8:57 am

I agree.

Though it should be pointed out that pitching / throwing is superior in baseball but that doesnt extend to pitching being more skilled than bowling.

Geoffrey
Banned
Banned

Postby Geoffrey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:00 am

Wow the baseball camp has gone completely silent. This is a very interesting debate I would hate the silence to continue.

Maybe the argument is just too difficult to formulate on the baseball side?

gabbadan
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby gabbadan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:53 am

In my case I far prefer to watch a batsman in full flight than a batter in baseball. I also prefer to watch good bowling.
I was watching Chris Carpenter live/recorded a few days back one of the modern day greats.
You could see his skill and variation but it was dull.
The excitement in Baseball lies in the tension involved in scoring and the running between bases.

I am coming onside with the quality of the telecasts James I guess I was put off by some dismal stadiums but to be honest cricket telecasts look just as bad if the stadiums and grounds are poor.