The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Discuss topics related to other sports here.

Who will be the Champion?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Brazil (6th Title)
0
No votes
Germany (5th Title)
0
No votes
Argentina (3rd Title)
0
No votes
Uruguay (3rd Title)
0
No votes
Spain (2nd Title)
0
No votes
France (2nd Title)
2
50%
England (2nd Title)
1
25%
New Champion
1
25%
 
Total votes: 4

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Image

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby raja » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Haha.

Portugal might get past Uruguay but I have doubts about Argentina beating France.
This Argentina side lacks quality - except the two goals today, their game was pretty average.

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Image

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 pm

raja wrote:Haha.

Portugal might get past Uruguay but I have doubts about Argentina beating France.
This Argentina side lacks quality - except the two goals today, their game was pretty average.

they just started getting hot. wait and watch.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 16026
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Katto » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:58 am

The Third Man wrote:
Katto wrote:I told you Australia was the worst team at this tournament. Nobody believed me. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Not as bad as Egypt


they're worse than Egypt
only on the points board do they look better and that's only courtesy of an undeserved penalty

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:12 am

I have doubts about both. Portugal this time is a one trick pony with Ronaldo.

I expect Uruguay led by Suarez to upset Portugal.

Similarly expect France to beat Argentina. Argentina are not that good and were lucky to beat Nigeria who missed easy chances.

I want underdogs like Croatia and Mexico to do well this time. Of course heart of heart, always support Germany.

But i would like Croatia to win the world cup.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 16026
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Katto » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:19 am

bolero wrote:I have doubts about both. Portugal this time is a one trick pony with Ronaldo.

I expect Uruguay led by Suarez to upset Portugal.

Similarly expect France to beat Argentina. Argentina are not that good and were lucky to beat Nigeria who missed easy chances.

I want underdogs like Croatia and Mexico to do well this time. Of course heart of heart, always support Germany.

But i would like Croatia to win the world cup.


no Croatia winning the world cup would be unbearable given I live in Australia and there are so many Croatians here

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:30 am

Katto wrote:
bolero wrote:I have doubts about both. Portugal this time is a one trick pony with Ronaldo.

I expect Uruguay led by Suarez to upset Portugal.

Similarly expect France to beat Argentina. Argentina are not that good and were lucky to beat Nigeria who missed easy chances.

I want underdogs like Croatia and Mexico to do well this time. Of course heart of heart, always support Germany.

But i would like Croatia to win the world cup.


no Croatia winning the world cup would be unbearable given I live in Australia and there are so many Croatians here


:lol: :lol:

User avatar
Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 6964
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 1
Isle of Man

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Leo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:46 am

Going South wrote:
raja wrote:Haha.

Portugal might get past Uruguay but I have doubts about Argentina beating France.
This Argentina side lacks quality - except the two goals today, their game was pretty average.

they just started getting hot. wait and watch.


Please don't tell me that you are supporting Argentina . . . . :think:
Time is the Best Speaker

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 am

I like Messi as his name starts with “M” just like me & he is like tendulkar of our cricket. Remember when tendulkar is expected to make a 100 but did not, with all sorts of trolls come out and talk BS? I feel the same for messi. it sure “messed” up many fans who demand 100 goals every match from him !!

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:43 am

Katto wrote:
The Third Man wrote:
Not as bad as Egypt


they're worse than Egypt
only on the points board do they look better and that's only courtesy of an undeserved penalty

I am so glad Egypt got kicked out. I loath Salah. a bonafide prime donna tantrum throwing douche bag. To add to it, I recently came to know about his cow slaughter beliefs. WTF?
http://www.empireofthekop.com/2018/05/2 ... newspaper/

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby raja » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:02 pm

As you know, I have no principles. :-)
I will support the team that's most likely to beat England. :-)
I don't care which team it is.

Although right now, England are red-hot, so it looks like no team will be able to stop them this time.

Congratulations in advance to all England supporters.

Which reminds me, where is Boycs?
Haven't seen him here in ages!

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:10 pm


User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:12 pm


User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Germany on their way out of the World Cup.

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Image

hahahahahaha

none of you know your soccer teams.

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:49 pm

almost 3/4 of teams are identified on who go to next round.

what’s your team prediction on the remaining matches???

Image

Image

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:50 pm

anybody rooting for columbia or serbia???

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 16026
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Katto » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Germany were awful. Poorly selected and disjointed team.
Low's time is up.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby raja » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:33 pm

Going South wrote:anybody rooting for columbia or serbia???

Not exactly rooting for them, but I wouldn't mind them winning.
Was supporting Germany but now that they're out, I don't know who to support.
Might support Belgium - they never win anything, though they're a decent side. :-)

Just want a first-time winner.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:42 pm

raja wrote:
Going South wrote:anybody rooting for columbia or serbia???

Not exactly rooting for them, but I wouldn't mind them winning.
Was supporting Germany but now that they're out, I don't know who to support.
Might support Belgium - they never win anything, though they're a decent side. :-)

Just want a first-time winner.


I have already voted in this poll for a first time winner, to be specific, Croatia or Belgium.

User avatar
The Third Man
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Ireland

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby The Third Man » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Ze Germans are out!!!

I was out watching the cricket earlier and though my FotMob app had a glich

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby raja » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:15 pm

Brazil and Switzerland go through.
Brazil play Mexico next, while Switzerland take on Sweden.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 16026
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Katto » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:59 am

Brazil are really an unlikable team, I hope Mexico win but I doubt they will

I hope Sweden can beat Albania

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:00 am

Katto wrote:Brazil are really an unlikable team, I hope Mexico win but I doubt they will

I hope Sweden can beat Albania


I doubt whether Mexico can beat the formidable Brazil but will be rooting for them.

Mexico were thrashed by Sweden (again European and South American styles are contrasting).

Matchups for round of 16 are :-

Uruguay V/s Portugal
Russia V/s Spain
France V/s Argentina
Croatia V/s Denmark
Brazil V/s Mexico
Sweden V/s Switzerland
England , Belgium go through in their group but order to be decided today
Any 2 from Japan / Senegal / Colombia to go through in their group

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 16026
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Katto » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:05 am

might be a few penalty shootouts among those

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:15 am

Luka Modric of Croatia reminds me a little of Spaniard Gaizka Mendieta in his prime.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby raja » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:33 am

I don't know how the matchups look but if they are on separate sides all the way, I am predicting Brazil-England final.
And England winning.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby raja » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:33 am

In any case, England is winning.

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am

does pitch/ground venue have a say for soccer? i mean certain type of ground favors certain team?

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:42 am

brazil vs england final & won by england ?

hahahahahaha

if it happen you would hear about it to no end, cricket would be buried in england.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Going South wrote:does pitch/ground venue have a say for soccer? i mean certain type of ground favors certain team?


Altitude and size of ground matters.

User avatar
The Third Man
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Ireland

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby The Third Man » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:02 pm

Japan go through to the next phase ahead of Senegal on the fair play rule. First time a team has done so. No African teams in the second phase for the first time since 1982

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby raja » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:18 pm

England have played very well to lose to Belgium.
This ensures they take the easy route to the final, avoiding Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, France, Portugal, Uruguay.
(Current world ranking of these sides 2, 4, 5, 7, 14).
They now play Colombia, then the winner of Switzerland/Sweden - and they are in the semis!

Wow!
Belgium, poor guys, will meet Brazil in the quarters, if they beat Japan.

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:02 pm

looks like all white world cup. meh.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 16026
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Katto » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:36 am

Going South wrote:looks like all white world cup. meh.


African teams France, Brazil, Colombia, Belgium and England all qualified
what are you talking about?

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:04 am

raja wrote:England have played very well to lose to Belgium.
This ensures they take the easy route to the final, avoiding Brazil, Portugal, Argentina, France, Portugal, Uruguay.
(Current world ranking of these sides 2, 4, 5, 7, 14).
They now play Colombia, then the winner of Switzerland/Sweden - and they are in the semis!

Wow!
Belgium, poor guys, will meet Brazil in the quarters, if they beat Japan.


Yes, looks like Gareth Southgate strategy. England missed a sitter, one on one Rashford with goalie. Belgium also missed some easy chances.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:06 am

Gareth Southgate is the Dravid of football, one of those hardworking player-coaches and humble.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:09 am

Just like Croatia did not play their best team and rested players in the last match, England also adopted the same strategy reserving them for the knockout stages.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:19 am

Belgium beat England but both teams tried to lose

MOSCOW — England lost on purpose at the World Cup on Thursday night, deliberately condemning itself a 1-0 defeat to Belgium in Kaliningrad and willfully falling to second place in Group G in the process.

Let’s be clear, the above sentence is an opinion, not a fact. It will never be admitted to, or proven correct beyond dispute. England head coach Gareth Southgate is not going to come out and confirm that it was part of the plan to ensure the result that provides a far easier potential path to World Cup glory, and neither are any of his players.

It is just a theory, but it is certainly not a unique one. If you want any confirmation of that, try putting any one of these searches into Twitter: “England throwing”, as in “throwing the game.” “England deliberately losing.” Or “England “not trying.” Or “England trying to lose.”

Just to be on the safe side, let’s say that England “might have” wanted things to transpire as they did, with its first defeat of this World Cup. The reason they “might have” wanted that is because second spot came with a neat little place on the easier side of the World Cup knockout bracket.


Both the Three Lions and Belgium had already booked a spot in the second round with victories in their opening two games, so there was no problem there, no danger of going out of the event.

But now England faces Colombia in the round of 16, in Moscow, and gets an extra day of rest. Winning against Belgium, or even finishing ahead of their opponent on countback in the case of a tie, would have meant a clash with Japan, on Monday, in Rostov-on-Don, far further from the squad’s training base near St. Petersburg.

Yet surely Japan would be an easier foe, no? Correct, except than any team worth its salt needs to expect to get past either the Japanese or the Colombians with little danger. Assuming that both Belgium and England get past their last 16 games, Belgium would now be in line to square off against Brazil (if it beats Mexico). England would potentially meet the winner of Sweden and Switzerland. Quite a difference.

Not trying all out to win is not a particularly noble exploit, but Belgium “might have” been thinking exactly the same thing. Both teams made a series of changes to their lineups. If the game had ended all square, the final tiebreaker would have been disciplinary record, as in, the team with the fewer yellow cards across the tournament would have topped the group.

Lo and behold, Belgium collected a couple of early yellows on Thursday, and, would you believe it, those went to players who are expected to play no further part in the tournament.

But one man “might have” not received the memo. Adnan Januzaj, the talented young Belgian winger, got the ball in the penalty area after 51 minutes, smashed one goalwards and saw it fly into the top corner of the England net. Belgium head coach Roberto Martinez, with most of his best players sitting on the bench, did not offer a hint of a smile.

Apart from Januzaj’s strike, every time either team had possession anywhere near the scoring zone, a peculiar thing happened. Players who normally hit the target with routine accuracy shot narrowly wide. Or, more often, found their effort parried by the legs or the body of a defender in their path.

You could be forgiven for thinking something strange “might have” been going on.


Until FIFA does something to discourage a team from taking its foot off the gas, or more pointedly, offers a more direct reward for winning a group, then this might not be the last time this “might have” happened.

While it might offend the sensibilities of some, such an approach is, to others, merely common sense, given that the ultimate goal of going to a World Cup is winning it. Procuring an easier path for yourself is a tactic, whether it is a popular one or not.

That’s what “might have” happened. Now we'll see if it “might have” worked.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 743451002/

User avatar
Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 6964
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 1
Isle of Man

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Leo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:11 am

Round of 16
Match 49–June 30, 2018 (6:00 PM): Uruguay vs Portugal (Fisht Olympic Stadium, Sochi)
Match 50–June 30, 2018 (2:00 PM): France vs Argentina (Kazan Arena, Kazan)

Match 51–July 1, 2018 (2:00 PM): Spain vs Russia (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow)
Match 52–July 1, 2018 (6:00 PM): Croatia vs Denmark (Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, Nizhny Novgorod)

Match 53–July 2, 2018 (2:00 PM): Brazil vs Mexico (Cosmos Arena, Samara)
Match 54–July 2, 2018 (6:00 PM): Belgium vs Japan (Rostov Arena, Rostov-on-Don)

Match 55–July 3, 2018 (2:00 PM): Sweden vs Switzerland (Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg)
Match 56–July 3, 2018 (6:00 PM): Colombia vs England (Otkrytiye Arena, Moscow)

Quarter Final
Match 57–July 6, 2018 (2:00 PM): Match 49 vs Winner Match 50 (Nizhny Novgorod Stadium, Nizhny Novgorod)
Match 58–July 6, 2018 (6:00 PM): Winner Match 53 vs Winner Match 54 (Kazan Arena, Kazan)

Match 59–July 7, 2018 (6:00 PM): Winner Match 51 vs Winner Match 52 (Fisht Olympic Stadium, Sochi)
Match 60–July 7, 2018 (2:00 PM): Winner Match 55 vs Winner Match 56 (Cosmos Arena, Samara)

Semi Final
Match 61–July 10, 2018 (6:00 PM): Winner Match 57 vs Winner Match 58 (Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg)
Match 62–July 11, 2018 (6:00 PM): Winner Match 59 vs Winner Match 60 (Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow)

Third Place Play Off
Match 63–July 14, 2018 (2:00 PM): Loser Match 61 vs Loser Match 62 (Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg)

Final
July 15, 2018 (3:00 PM): Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow
Time is the Best Speaker

User avatar
The Third Man
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Ireland

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby The Third Man » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:01 pm

England seem to be patting themselves on the back because they have the 'easier' path to the semis. Eh, they are playing Colombia in the next round not feckin Gibraltar. This time next week Southgate will either look like a genius or a complete tit.

User avatar
The Third Man
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Ireland

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby The Third Man » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:05 pm

bolero wrote:
Until FIFA does something to discourage a team from taking its foot off the gas, or more pointedly, offers a more direct reward for winning a group, then this might not be the last time this “might have” happened.



When the World Cup is expanded in 2026 the first round will be 16 x 3 team groups with only the winners progressing so this will likely be a thing of the past.

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 pm

The Third Man wrote:England seem to be patting themselves on the back because they have the 'easier' path to the semis. Eh, they are playing Colombia in the next round not feckin Gibraltar. This time next week Southgate will either look like a genius or a complete tit.

i say England lose next match.
karma catchup.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29499
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby raja » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:07 pm

bolero wrote:Belgium beat England but both teams tried to lose

MOSCOW — England lost on purpose at the World Cup on Thursday night, deliberately condemning itself a 1-0 defeat to Belgium in Kaliningrad and willfully falling to second place in Group G in the process.

Let’s be clear, the above sentence is an opinion, not a fact. It will never be admitted to, or proven correct beyond dispute. England head coach Gareth Southgate is not going to come out and confirm that it was part of the plan to ensure the result that provides a far easier potential path to World Cup glory, and neither are any of his players.

It is just a theory, but it is certainly not a unique one. If you want any confirmation of that, try putting any one of these searches into Twitter: “England throwing”, as in “throwing the game.” “England deliberately losing.” Or “England “not trying.” Or “England trying to lose.”

Just to be on the safe side, let’s say that England “might have” wanted things to transpire as they did, with its first defeat of this World Cup. The reason they “might have” wanted that is because second spot came with a neat little place on the easier side of the World Cup knockout bracket.


Both the Three Lions and Belgium had already booked a spot in the second round with victories in their opening two games, so there was no problem there, no danger of going out of the event.

But now England faces Colombia in the round of 16, in Moscow, and gets an extra day of rest. Winning against Belgium, or even finishing ahead of their opponent on countback in the case of a tie, would have meant a clash with Japan, on Monday, in Rostov-on-Don, far further from the squad’s training base near St. Petersburg.

Yet surely Japan would be an easier foe, no? Correct, except than any team worth its salt needs to expect to get past either the Japanese or the Colombians with little danger. Assuming that both Belgium and England get past their last 16 games, Belgium would now be in line to square off against Brazil (if it beats Mexico). England would potentially meet the winner of Sweden and Switzerland. Quite a difference.

Not trying all out to win is not a particularly noble exploit, but Belgium “might have” been thinking exactly the same thing. Both teams made a series of changes to their lineups. If the game had ended all square, the final tiebreaker would have been disciplinary record, as in, the team with the fewer yellow cards across the tournament would have topped the group.

Lo and behold, Belgium collected a couple of early yellows on Thursday, and, would you believe it, those went to players who are expected to play no further part in the tournament.

But one man “might have” not received the memo. Adnan Januzaj, the talented young Belgian winger, got the ball in the penalty area after 51 minutes, smashed one goalwards and saw it fly into the top corner of the England net. Belgium head coach Roberto Martinez, with most of his best players sitting on the bench, did not offer a hint of a smile.

Apart from Januzaj’s strike, every time either team had possession anywhere near the scoring zone, a peculiar thing happened. Players who normally hit the target with routine accuracy shot narrowly wide. Or, more often, found their effort parried by the legs or the body of a defender in their path.

You could be forgiven for thinking something strange “might have” been going on.


Until FIFA does something to discourage a team from taking its foot off the gas, or more pointedly, offers a more direct reward for winning a group, then this might not be the last time this “might have” happened.

While it might offend the sensibilities of some, such an approach is, to others, merely common sense, given that the ultimate goal of going to a World Cup is winning it. Procuring an easier path for yourself is a tactic, whether it is a popular one or not.

That’s what “might have” happened. Now we'll see if it “might have” worked.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 743451002/


I watched the match from beginning to end, and I agree with this assessment.
I don't care what Southgate or the Belgium coach say - neither team wanted to win.
Belgium could have been smarter - they could always have scored an own goal in the very last minute. :lmao:

User avatar
The Third Man
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Ireland

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby The Third Man » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:26 am

raja wrote:Belgium could have been smarter - they could always have scored an own goal in the very last minute. :lmao:


There is actually a precedent here. In the 1994 Caribbean Cup the organisers came up with an innovative way of making the round robin stage more exciting - with absolutely farcical results. There were to no draws - a game level after 90 minutes was to be decided by a golden goal which, get this, counted as double!

OK now pay attention this gets complicated...

Barbados needed to beat Grenada by 2 goals in their last game to progress and they were winning 2-0 when Grenada pulled one back. Realising that the extra time Golden Goal counted as two, Barbados then deliberately scored an own goal to force extra time where they would only have to score once.

The Grenadian players caught on to Barbados's plan, and realized that they would advance in the tournament by scoring a goal in either net. Yes you guessed it they tried to score an og on themselves. So we had the comical situation of Barbados trying to PREVENT Grenada scoring an own goal.

Needless to say,the double golden goal was never even thought of again.

Barbados won in extra time by the way....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZlqfhLwBnE

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5672
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby bolero » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:58 pm

What a match! Argentina knocked out by France.

User avatar
The Third Man
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 968
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Ireland

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby The Third Man » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:54 pm

bolero wrote:What a match! Argentina knocked out by France.


Brilliant game. I could watch the replay of France's second goal all night

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 26836
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Going South » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:18 pm

hehehehe.
over hype machine get derailed.
now some calmness in soccer world.

germany out.
argentina out.

who is the next big ass rockstar that’s gonna tumble??

messi pissing in his pants at the thought of ronaldo. ;)

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 16026
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: The Greatest Show on Earth: FIFA World Cup (Russia) June 14 to July 15, 2018

Postby Katto » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Going South wrote:hehehehe.
over hype machine get derailed.
now some calmness in soccer world.

germany out.
argentina out.

who is the next big ass rockstar that’s gonna tumble??

messi pissing in his pants at the thought of ronaldo. ;)


Portugal out