Australian Rugby Union

Discuss topics related to other sports here.
Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

Australian Rugby Union

Postby Mick180461 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Can we now put the fall of Australian Rugby into the same category as West Indian Cricket? The Super teams are 0-17 against Kiwi sides this season.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Re: Australian Rugby Union

Postby Paddles » Sun May 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Mick180461 wrote:Can we now put the fall of Australian Rugby into the same category as West Indian Cricket? The Super teams are 0-17 against Kiwi sides this season.

No. This just demonstrates the massive gap between the depth of the #1 side in the world and the #2 contenders.

West Indies suck against most top tier nations - ARU are possibly #3 or #4 and England at #2 are catchable for them.

ARU wants to join NZ npc to remedy the gap. Would you believe in NZ, for cricket only our national, domestic t20 games are televised and the 50 over final. Nothing else. 1 50 over game and no FC non tests. But for rugby - we televise ABs, 7s (domestic tournament and intl), Super Rugby, NPC (more than div 1!!!!) and I kid you not - selected high school matches each week! Rugby in NZ is at a class above below intl ABs. When the lions lose to NZ Super Teams, ARU will relax a bit.

Its time for ARU to plan for future cos Eng, Ire, Wales, Japan and Argentina are improving and the Springboks will bounce back soon. Scotland is on rise too and beat you in Straya recently as well?!
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:41 am

Paddles wrote:
Mick180461 wrote:Can we now put the fall of Australian Rugby into the same category as West Indian Cricket? The Super teams are 0-17 against Kiwi sides this season.

No. This just demonstrates the massive gap between the depth of the #1 side in the world and the #2 contenders.

West Indies suck against most top tier nations - ARU are possibly #3 or #4 and England at #2 are catchable for them.

ARU wants to join NZ npc to remedy the gap. Would you believe in NZ, for cricket only our national, domestic t20 games are televised and the 50 over final. Nothing else. 1 50 over game and no FC non tests. But for rugby - we televise ABs, 7s (domestic tournament and intl), Super Rugby, NPC (more than div 1!!!!) and I kid you not - selected high school matches each week! Rugby in NZ is at a class above below intl ABs. When the lions lose to NZ Super Teams, ARU will relax a bit.

Its time for ARU to plan for future cos Eng, Ire, Wales, Japan and Argentina are improving and the Springboks will bounce back soon. Scotland is on rise too and beat you in Straya recently as well?!

Yes i would believe your Cricket telecasting is that bad, ours is not much better, all Internationals and the BBL are Broadcast, the BBL and about 1/2 the 50 over comp, no 4 day games at all.
Australian Rugby has been in decline now for at least 15 yrs. Back in the 90s the Wallabies were big news stories in QLD & NSW but barely pass with a wimper these days. The news coverage of the Wallabies is just not the same anymore. The pressure on both League & Union has been growing especially from the AFL but also Soccer.
Australia has got a lot of Pro sports asking for finite resources and Rugby is starting to really struggle for their share, lose far to many of our best young players to Europe or League. We have seen this happen once before, with the decline of Windies Cricket and the rise of a Super Power like the ABs, with the Aussie Cricket team.
In the struggle with League especially but AFL also to a degree to get there share of the best young talent in Australia, Rugby is failing, there are no Superstars in Australian Rugby anymore that Kids can look up to. They all want to play 1/2 back for the Broncos or Full Forward for the Swans. I'm beggining to think Australian Rugby would be better off concentrating on 7s, where the limited supply of talent would be better used.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon May 08, 2017 5:41 am

Maybe the rest of the world has just gotten better and the competition is too great.
Australia should stick to NRL so they can be world champions at a sport no one else cares about :)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Mon May 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Mick180461 wrote:
Paddles wrote:No. This just demonstrates the massive gap between the depth of the #1 side in the world and the #2 contenders.

Yes i would believe your Cricket telecasting is that bad, ours is not much better, all Internationals and the BBL are Broadcast, the BBL and about 1/2 the 50 over comp, no 4 day games at all.
Australian Rugby has been in decline now for at least 15 yrs. Back in the 90s the Wallabies were big news stories in QLD & NSW but barely pass with a wimper these days. The news coverage of the Wallabies is just not the same anymore. The pressure on both League & Union has been growing especially from the AFL but also Soccer.
Australia has got a lot of Pro sports asking for finite resources and Rugby is starting to really struggle for their share, lose far to many of our best young players to Europe or League. We have seen this happen once before, with the decline of Windies Cricket and the rise of a Super Power like the ABs, with the Aussie Cricket team.
In the struggle with League especially but AFL also to a degree to get there share of the best young talent in Australia, Rugby is failing, there are no Superstars in Australian Rugby anymore that Kids can look up to. They all want to play 1/2 back for the Broncos or Full Forward for the Swans. I'm beggining to think Australian Rugby would be better off concentrating on 7s, where the limited supply of talent would be better used.

Oh - all Southern Hemisphere teams are under attack by the wallets of the Northern Hemisphere with their French Euros and British pounds, that's if they can keep the Japanese Yen from buying their stocks. NZ's depth is ridiculous tho and can sustain it better than South Africa, Argentina or Australia is able.

Given your private schools love union, and the likes of Wally Lewis taking the scholarships and then reverting back to League are not new, all the ARU needs to boost Union again is a strong showing in a Southern Hemisphere World Cup. That combined with some smart poaching of NRL talent, will keep the Wallabies strong.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Mon May 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Katto wrote:Maybe the rest of the world has just gotten better and the competition is too great.

British nations are on the rise, but I expect the ABs to smash the Lions this year.

Japan and Argentina are getting stronger at depth as well through Super Rugby.

The Wallabies will have another purple patch, just need to find a John Eales type with Gregan/Larkham or Farr Jones and Lynagh.

But the standard will inevitably remain the All Blacks. We're better at rugby than Brazil is at football.

Katto wrote:Australia should stick to NRL so they can be world champions at a sport no one else cares about

That would be the AFL. The NRL is rugby league - a sport where 4 test matches were played in Australia this past weekend, and a World Cup is held at year's end in NZ, Aus and PNG.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Katto wrote:Maybe the rest of the world has just gotten better and the competition is too great.
Australia should stick to NRL so they can be world champions at a sport no one else cares about :)

Dear Mods
This is nothing but an attempt to de-rail a thread in a sport he has no interest in.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 am

Mick180461 wrote:

Dear Mods
This is nothing but an attempt to de-rail a thread in a sport he has no interest in.

You come to this forum and try to change it to your own forum instead of fitting in with the culture that already existed then you abuse members when you don't get your own way. Now you're being a crybaby.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:03 am

Katto wrote:
Mick180461 wrote:Dear Mods

You come to this forum and try to change it to your own forum instead of fitting in with the culture that already existed then you abuse members when you don't get your own way. Now you're being a crybaby.

I am not trying to change the Forum at all, i and others are using a section of this forum provided by the people who run this forum to talk about other sports, all you do is come into this thread and attack Rugby League go into the Union thread and attack the people using that thread same as Swimming.
There is no good reason for you to be on these threads if you are not interested in these sports, it does not effect you in any way shape or form what is being said on these threads. If i started talking about League on the Cricket threads than you would have a complaint.
If the small number of active members using this Forum is any indication, then perhaps the Culture here is a real problem and you can play all by yourself because you will be about the only one left.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Mick,

Lets get some perspective. The British and Irish Lions nearly lost to NZ B Grade provincial Barbarian team (this is below both Super Rugby and First Grade NPC).

Once they face the NZ Super Rugby teams and lose, Australian Rugby fans can start feeling far more confident of where Australian rugby talent is at at present.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:37 am

NZ weaker Super Rugby team; the Blues have beaten the Lions.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:33 am

Paddles wrote:Mick,

Lets get some perspective. The British and Irish Lions nearly lost to NZ B Grade provincial Barbarian team (this is below both Super Rugby and First Grade NPC).

Once they face the NZ Super Rugby teams and lose, Australian Rugby fans can start feeling far more confident of where Australian rugby talent is at at present.

Sorry to take so long to get back with a reply Paddles, been a bad couple of weeks. The ABs are far ahead of the rest of the world right now yes but the Wallabies are nowhere near the side they were 20 years ago and where in those days the likes of Gregan, Eals, Horan were household names outside of Rugby the current side just makes no noise outside of the Rugby community.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:15 am

They certainly looked a 3rd rate club team today.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:22 am

Mick180461 wrote:They certainly looked a 3rd rate club team today.

The Lions beat the Maori too with the most dull kicking game. Though, Ben Teo is certainly a good direct runner. I hope the wallabies sort it out, running rugby, for which the Antipodes is famed for, is a better watch than force back.