NFL Football!

Discuss topics related to other sports here.
Shalini
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked

NFL Football!

Postby Shalini » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:30 am

Originally started by SuperGLS

http://www.cricforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11504

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Re: NFL Football!

Postby SuperGLS » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:26 am

Thanks Shalini!

Congrats to the New Orleans Saints for winning their first ever Superbowl!

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:06 am

Yea .. .watched the game at a friend's place. Good day for the Saints. Will be an awesome moment for them.

VFE
Banned
Banned

Postby VFE » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Still need to change the title of the thread to American Football.

vinyl
CF Debutant

Postby vinyl » Sun May 09, 2010 5:32 pm

cricetguru wrote:I really want to get into NFL but am a total amateur. Could someone give me an insight into the game please??

Someone recommended the Wikipedia page, but that's a little long + obtuse - you don't need to know a million esoteric details at once. The rules are out there on the 'Net, but it's actually really hard to find a guide that explains everything you're unclear on, without confusing you with unnecessary technicalities (I was like that with cricket once). ;)

The basics are this: One team has the ball, and has four chances to try and hold onto it and carry it at least 10 yards so they can gain another four chances, or take it across the goal line scoring a "touchdown" (worth 6 points). They can also score by kicking it through the goalposts (3 points), and they get a chance to do this after making a touchdown as well (the "point after" or "extra point"). If they fail to do this after 4 "downs," the opposing side gets possession. The other team tries to stop them by either "intercepting" the ball in flight, and making it their ball, or tackling the ballcarrier. That's really all you need to know, but the BBC has a good quick-and-dirty primer for viewership on their page.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/american_football/3192002.stm

SuperGLS wrote:It's funny because I caught some AFL the other night (it's on one of our "international" channels)

Been watching MHz Networks, I see!
I love that channel.

I caught some footy matches on that as well, and I've tried; rugby's OK to watch, when it's not too bogged down in scrums, but I just can't get into AFL. I'm not really into any football codes, though, and tell people, "Cricket is what keeps me sane during football (i.e. NFL, i.e. not-baseball) season."